• 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
New member from Washington State

Good day folks
I got my first Pontiac at 15 years old. It was a 67 GTO in tough shape. My dad's friend had it custom built new for himself. It had a brass plack on the dash that said so. After driving it like a GTO was designed to be driven for several years an blowing up several engines he put out to pasture ( literally) and lost to the blackberrys. Dad and drug it home. I used it as a learning tool.
Second pontiac was a 68 LeMans 4 speed posi car. I bought it for the drive train to put in the goat. The problem was I fell in love with the 68. Damn that girls got some curves. At 53 I still have her out back with Northwest weather doing horible things to it.
Sold the 67 along time ago unfinished. But learned a lot. I called it "Doc"
Pic of my 68' Santana circa 1985
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 08:16 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome! Nice pic of the old gal - definitely 1985 era looks. Doing my 1968 Lemans in a similar fashion. Frame off resto mod underway. Sitting high up front with a little more in the ass-end, tall fat tires sticking out the rear fenders, one piece fiberglass tilt nose w/no hood, spartan interior with roll bar, warmed over 455CI (using an Edlebrock gear drive 'cause I like the whine sound), 5-speed, Ford 9" w/3.89 locker, and going to have to make my own tunnel ram with dual quads/velocity stacks to round out the look. Got the aluminum slots, but decided to go with a different rim. Frame/suspension/brakes are done. Engine is done, just needs to be assembled. Its body work time for this summer's project.
psychodelicdan likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Welcome! Nice pic of the old gal - definitely 1985 era looks. Doing my 1968 Lemans in a similar fashion. Frame off resto mod underway. Sitting high up front with a little more in the ass-end, tall fat tires sticking out the rear fenders, one piece fiberglass tilt nose w/no hood, spartan interior with roll bar, warmed over 455CI (using an Edlebrock gear drive 'cause I like the whine sound), 5-speed, Ford 9" w/3.89 locker, and going to have to make my own tunnel ram with dual quads/velocity stacks to round out the look. Got the aluminum slots, but decided to go with a different rim. Frame/suspension/brakes are done. Engine is done, just needs to be assembled. Its body work time for this summer's project.
Sounds like a nice set up. Do you have a build thread on it? I had a lot of fun with that car. Used it for around 8 years as a daily driver weekend cruiser. When a intake valve head came off and grenaded.the cylinder I had had enough of the Pontiac engine troubles. I must have had that engine in various configurations gutted out and put back in 10 times.
Then I made the big mistake!
I installed a stock 2 barrel sbc.💩😳. It got around 18 mph on the highway but didnt have the torque to pull out of the driveway. Fun factor over. I know I can't be the only one to feel this way but the Pontiac engine was the heart of her. It's like she lost her soul or something and I parked it. I trailered it to my new home 20 years ago and hope to someday restore it to its former glory. But this time with a 400 or 428 in it. That is unless my PHS documents that I finally ! sent for after all this time come back saying she's as special to the Pontiac world as it is to me. Hey you never know!!!
Dan

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 06:14 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
psychodelicdan - "Do you have a build thread on it?"

No, no build thread yet. I do have a few pics with captions in my "Garage" section. I want to get a little ahead on the build before I begin a build thread. Rolling chassis is done, body shell bolted back down, but got a bunch of body work to tackle this summer. Looking to be a 5 year plan at the rate I am going. So as I get closer to seeing some light where it is nearer to driveable, maybe not completion, then I will start my build thread and supply a bunch of pics I have ready, descriptions, and prices of what it all costs to put my car together - which is not turning out to be cheap by any means. LOL It should be fun and that's what I am after.

psychodelicdan - "I know I can't be the only one to feel this way but the Pontiac engine was the heart of her."

Yep, the lore of the GTO was built around its engine....but there are some who feel the Chevy LS swap is the wave of the future - so sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Forum Discussion > Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.