User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sooo much to learn

Two years ago my Dad decided to do some work on his 66 Tempest. I put in a new fuel pump he had bought. It didn't help, so I put in an electronic ignition system. It was still running rough and a new acquaintance at the auto parts store showed me that a valve wasn't sealing and was telling me how easy the job would be to do. He then volunteered to help me with the job, and at the same time, we would upgrade the cam, lifters, rods and the timing chain. Long story short, he got the cam in for me and was never able to come back again. So I was forced to figure out what bolts went where, how to get it back in time from scratch, and that I also needed to upgrade my rockers so they didn't come off! I've since been able to upgrade it to a 4 brl carb.
So... I'm new, I've still got a lot to learn and lots of questions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4348.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	92201  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Welcome to the Forum!
Love the CalCustom valvecovers, have a pair, along with valve cover spacers set aside for my '63 LeMans engine swap.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Here's my first question and current problem. I seem to have a major vapor lock problem. My dad says it's always been this way. He would stop for gas or something, and have to wait for it to cool down before it would start. When I put on the new 1405 Edelbrock, I also put in a clear fuel filter. I can see that there is barely any liquid going in and it only occasionally receives a splash from the pump. I just replaced the manual pump about a year ago, so I didn't think that was the problem. I was thinking that I was getting vapor before the pump due to the lowered pressure sucking from the tank. I installed a small electric pump right after it comes out of the tank, hoping that the increased pressure would prevent the gas going to vapor. No change. It still does not want to start after the engine is hot. Do I have a bad manual pump? Should I bypass it and install a pressure regulator?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
? check fuel tank

Had a similar issue and it worked out that I had sludge in my fuel tank. Replaced fuel lines and fuel pump but the issue only worsened to the point it wouldn't start. Would start when the line to fuel pump put in 5-gallon canister. Replaced my fuel tank and everything is working well. You didn't mention if you checked your fuel tank or if it has been recently replaced. Hope this helps

MGS-67-GTO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Forum Discussion > Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.