LS1/LS6 Valley Pan - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Engine Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
LS1/LS6 Valley Pan

Newb here so please pardon my ignorance. My son acquired a 2004 GTO with the LS1. The car has been modded some...Cam/Rollers/Kook LT headers/KN CAI
I am having issues with the PVC system...excessive oil in TB and am getting ready to install a catch can and vented oil fill cap. I have been researching the threads here and other forums and from what I can tell this seems to be a mod that needs to be performed. I have had the dipstick pop up twice and lost a fair amount of oil both times. I can't imagine why they didn't address this when they made the other mods.

My question at this point is trying to determine which valley pan/cover I have. I am attaching a photo and hopefully y'all can tell me for sure.

Here is my plan: add catch can...cap off passenger side outlet...run hose/filter from factory capped outlet on driver's side....vented/filter oil cap.

Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
LS1/LS6 Valley Pan-img_0886.jpg  
Tanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (11)
Garage
You have the stock setup. I would NOT do what you are proposing to do. The rear facing driver's side valve cover access point will suck oil out like a vampire. Also if you vent your system and are using a MAF the engine will be getting air that hasn't gone through the MAF from your cap vent.

The stock air path is fresh air in from the center top/pass. side of the TB (which is past the MAF so it's metered) to the pass. valve cover vent barb, through the engine, out the barb on the valley cover to a port behind the throttle blade where is oils up the inside of the manifold and heads.

Catch cans help but my experience is that the differences between most of them is how pretty they look and what color. The size of them is so small and the path so short that it does not condense out all the oil vapor. I did a DIY over-the-top system that is hidden and under $50.

SvedeSpeed OTRCAI|!MAF|HP Tuners|SLP LTs|FTI cam|SLP UD|243 Heads|FAST 102|2.5" Exh

Rip Shift|DSS shaft|Diamond Stg3 |Lovells |Koni|Harrop|SuperPro bushes|Pedders|Hotchkis|3.91s

svede1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Engine Discussions