Pontiac GTO Forum banner

What numbers should I expect??

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  svede1212 
#1 ·
Ive owned my 04 gto for 1 year. Now i have gone all out and put desent number of mods on my baby. New cam, fully ported heads, bbk intake manifold, kooks headers, electric cut outs, k&n intake, high volume oil pump. the job will be done by the end of next week. I feel like a kid on christmas and cant wait so what kind of numbers should i expect when it comes off the dyno??

#7 · (Edited)
great questions. cams vary greatly and dynos even more. peak HP & torque numbers may not even mean that you're that fast if the numbers aren't good "under the curve". to me the dyno is a tuning tool and how fast you go the REAL numbers that matter.

#9 ·
I don't think that running it at the track is any more of a true measurement of the mods than a dyno is. There are probably more variables to deal with at the track than on a dyno.

For example:
1. Are you running at the SAME track?
2. Will the track be prepped EXACTLY the way as the previous run(s)?
3. Are you running in the SAME lane as the previous run(s)
4. Will the ambient temperature be EXACTLY the same as the previous run(s)?
- Ambient temp will affect IATs.
5. Are the IATs the SAME on each run?
- Changing IATs will affect timing.
6. 60' times MUST be lower than the previous run(s).
7. Will the direction of the wind be EXACTLY the same on each run?
8. Will the tire pressures be EXACTLY the same each run?
9. Is total weight of the vehicle the SAME? A Maggie kit can add roughly 90 lbs. to the car so even though you have more power your track time may not be as impressive as you thought due to the extra weight of the supercharger.
10. Have your rear suspension components worn more since your previous runs which can cause increased wheel hop and a crappy 60'?

This is why I never tell anyone to take it to the track. I haven't been to the track in over a year. Not having the interest to go like I used to mean that I will never use track times to determine the performance of any mods I do.

For the record, I did power mods to my car to make it more powerful than stock. That's it! I've driven it probably 10 times down the track in the 48 months I've owned the car. Over a year ago, I ran a best of 13.2 @ 112 with a crappy 2.3 60' at LACR with my stock clutch slipping all the way through 4th gear with the Maggie. I never been back since. At the time I was around 452/433 at the wheels. Maybe I'll get a wild hair up my butt and hit the track again before I lose total interest in it.

#12 ·
I don't think that running it at the track is any more of a true measurement of the mods than a dyno is. There are probably more variables to deal with at the track than on a dyno.

For example:
1. Are you running at the SAME track?
2. Will the track be prepped EXACTLY the way as the previous run(s)?
3. Are you running in the SAME lane as the previous run(s)
4. Will the ambient temperature be EXACTLY the same as the previous run(s)?
- Ambient temp will affect IATs.
5. Are the IATs the SAME on each run?
- Changing IATs will affect timing.
6. 60' times MUST be lower than the previous run(s).
7. Will the direction of the wind be EXACTLY the same on each run?
8. Will the tire pressures be EXACTLY the same each run?
9. Is total weight of the vehicle the SAME? A Maggie kit can add roughly 90 lbs. to the car so even though you have more power your track time may not be as impressive as you thought due to the extra weight of the supercharger.
10. Have your rear suspension components worn more since your previous runs which can cause increased wheel hop and a crappy 60'?

This is why I never tell anyone to take it to the track.

:agree
Also is the car being lauched and shifted the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.