Best/cheapest/easiest to install GTO mods - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Best/cheapest/easiest to install GTO mods

I know it's a hard to answer question, I have a 2005 pontiac gto auto trans I bought a cold air intake but I was told I wasted my money on getting it. Before I waste anymore money which headers should I get? I'm also not super rich so price happens to kinda be an issue. I'm also looking to get a upgraded exhaust and a chip programmer.
TeHKasperek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum.

I dont know how you wasted your money on a cai. Mostly everyone on this forum has a cai, dont know why you were told that.

Header wise it all depends if you want to go with long tubes or shorties.

On a exhaust i know it'll be good to get a cat back exhaust.

And about a chip programmer i really dont know one who haves one. Good luck.
alsgto04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

whats the difference in shorties or long? I'm looking at the cortex tuner because it offers a 2 year powertrain warranty to your car which is really amazing
TeHKasperek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (11)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsgto04 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

I dont know how you wasted your money on a cai. Mostly everyone on this forum has a cai, dont know why you were told that.

Header wise it all depends if you want to go with long tubes or shorties.

On a exhaust i know it'll be good to get a cat back exhaust.

And about a chip programmer i really dont know one who haves one. Good luck.
i'll tell him that. they are greatly over rated and just because "every one is getting one" isn't a reason in itself to get one. most of the the perceived increase in power, just like an exhaust, is due to the illusion caused by a louder sound. lots of guys have run with a K&N drop in with the 2 hole mod and run track times as good as the "C"AIs. i've also done a lot of actual street testing of intakes and found that they weren't very good at being cold air intakes at all. putting a little shield around them doesn't do much as they still have to pull the air from somewhere and it isn't an optimal place. catbacks are the same thing. greatly over rated. until you've surpassed its ability to breath by way of significant power mods the stock one's fine. if i did anything to a '05-'06 goat it would be to put on a x pipe and replace the mufflers. you aren't going to gain a thing by doing more.
to the OP long tube headers are probably the best power mod you can do followed by a tune to start out with. there is a slight difference from brand to brand with Kooks probably being the best. Stainless Works also makes really good ones. i have SLPs and they were bought because i got them priced right, they also come coated which helps keep heat out of the engine bay. ARH are in the next tier, so is dynatech and are ok. pacesetters are on the cheap end. any of the other brands can be coated at an additional cost. i also think a shifter like a GMM or Billet is a really great first mod as you'll enjoy and use it every day

SvedeSpeed OTRCAI|!MAF|HP Tuners|SLP LTs|FTI cam|SLP UD|243 Heads|FAST 102|2.5" Exh

Rip Shift|DSS shaft|Diamond Stg3 |Lovells |Koni|Harrop|SuperPro bushes|Pedders|Hotchkis|3.91s

Last edited by svede1212; 11-23-2008 at 02:14 PM.
svede1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
i'll tell him that. they are greatly over rated and just because "every one is getting one" isn't a reason in itself to get one. most of the the perceived increase in power, just like an exhaust, is due to the illusion caused by a louder sound. lots of guys have run with a K&N drop in with the 2 hole mod and run track times as good as the "C"AIs. i've also done a lot of actual street testing of intakes and found that they weren't very good at being cold air intakes at all. putting a little shield around them doesn't do much as they still have to pull the air from somewhere and it isn't an optimal place. catbacks are the same thing. greatly over rated. until you've surpassed its ability to breath by way of significant power mods the stock one's fine. if i did anything to a '05-'06 goat it would be to put on a x pipe and replace the mufflers. you aren't going to gain a thing by doing more.
to the OP long tube headers are probably the best power mod you can do followed by a tune to start out with. there is a slight difference from brand to brand with Kooks probably being the best. Stainless Works also makes really good ones. i have SLPs and they were bought because i got them priced right, they also come coated which helps keep heat out of the engine bay. ARH are in the next tier, so is dynatech and are ok. pacesetters are on the cheap end. any of the other brands can be coated at an additional cost. i also think a shifter like a GMM or Billet is a really great first mod as you'll enjoy and use it every day
Very well put, I went with a resonator delete and Flowmaster 44 mufflers as my first mods. As the car came with an LSS shifter when I got it, which I prefer over the stock shifter, but would not recommend over GMM or Billet.
I would go with a CAI after you've got more mods done to the car including more exhaust work, so you can really feel the CAI doing its job, but its already done so don't even worry about it.
As for headers, mentioning that your not in the position to drop loads of cash on Kooks or SLP (being the best overall), I would go with Pacesetters.... They are the best bang-for-the-buck on LT's.
Although X-pipe will give a bit more in performance, I'm going to stick with my plans on getting an H-pipe basically for the sound.
My starting plans are to go for sound instead of gaining 1 or 2 more hp from a crappy sound. If your not in the position to drop big bucks on cam or anything yet, so until the day you are, I'd keep my plans to what satisfies you at the moment. Just my 0.02

1 of 475

Last edited by Aramz06; 11-23-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Aramz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
sounds is no doubt a preference but i think x's have been greatly maligned. the one that makes me laugh is the "exotic" label for an x. mine sounds far from a Ferrari

SvedeSpeed OTRCAI|!MAF|HP Tuners|SLP LTs|FTI cam|SLP UD|243 Heads|FAST 102|2.5" Exh

Rip Shift|DSS shaft|Diamond Stg3 |Lovells |Koni|Harrop|SuperPro bushes|Pedders|Hotchkis|3.91s

Old 11-23-2008, 05:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Aramz06
Sounds good Chief! I agree, the exotic label is like ......a sick joke that got out of hand? X give out more of a sharp metallic note, rather the deep rumble of an H.

1 of 475

Aramz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post

So are you trying to say that they are no good (cai) that all the dyno proven test that they do on them are bull sh*t. Kind of confused here?
alsgto04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsgto04 View Post
So are you trying to say that they are no good (cai) that all the dyno proven test that they do on them are bull sh*t. Kind of confused here?
well first of all you have to look at the "proven dyno tests". they are compared to stock filter/boxes not modded boxes with high flow filters. the second thing is the tests are conducted with the hood open and a large fan blowing cool air into the engine bay. hardly what you do on the road/track. the intake can also affect the tune as it can lean out the air fuel ratio. tunes optimizing each intake tested should have been done. the tests have some merit but you have to take in all of the variables to really draw any conclusion and then it's only part of the picture.
if you look at my last post in my intake thread up in the sticky you can see how intakes should be tested. it's not as sexy as posting a dyno HP number but it's more to the point. an intake only does 3 things and they can be measured.
1. to keep the incoming air clean.
2. to do it as close to ambient temperature as possible under all conditions.
3. to deliver that cool air with as little restriction as possible.

1. the filtering is how many microns or whatever it filters to.
2.the temp is easily measured with the IAT sensor and it really needs to be done under actual conditions, i.e. stopped, heat soaked and driven until the IAT temp comes down to it's lowest point. the longer it takes and the higher above ambient it is the worse it's doing and the least optimum power.
3. MAP is a measurement of inner intake manifold pressure in kpa. whatever the barometric pressure is that day is the highest pressure that normally is in the manifold. for reference 30 Hg mercury is 100 kpa. a restriction due to the engine sucking in air and intake system restricting it, results in a kpa below whatever the ambient/static pressure is. you want it as close as you can to that static kpa at WOT but the tubing's diameter, smoothness, length and bends restrict as well as the filter, MAF, TB and intake manifold.
from that you can see that you can easily evaluate an intake and do it more accurately than you can with a dyno.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aramz06 View Post
Sounds good Chief! I agree, the exotic label is like ......a sick joke that got out of hand? X give out more of a sharp metallic note, rather the deep rumble of an H.
some of that metallic/hollow sound is the Spintech mufflers. they have a slightly more metallic sound. my buddy had his with a x and magnaflows and it sounded probably more like you're looking for

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions