Catalytic Converter Bad - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Catalytic Converter Bad

So here's what happened.
Some pretty aggressive rattling in my Drivers' side CAT, then my check engine light started flashing during a pull in third. I did some searching and I believe it's gone bad.

The issue is, with the cost to buy and replace a CAT, I might as well upgrade to some decent headers, but, I will be moving to Cali in the next few months;

So I need a solution that is CARB approved; Help anyone?
phillirp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

JBA makes shorty headsers that bolt right up and star CARB approved. Headers will need mid pips with or without cats. JBA also sells them. I love their products and have JBA mids(catless) and catback on mine. Just waiting on headers until I have cash to waste.

It is almost pointless to mod a car in CA. It just too much a PITA wit hall their regulations.

04 GTO - sold
jpalamar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillirp View Post
So here's what happened.
Some pretty aggressive rattling in my Drivers' side CAT, then my check engine light started flashing during a pull in third. I did some searching and I believe it's gone bad.

The issue is, with the cost to buy and replace a CAT, I might as well upgrade to some decent headers, but, I will be moving to Cali in the next few months;

So I need a solution that is CARB approved; Help anyone?
Your best and only solution is to go with JBA headers and catted mids. The headers have a CARB approve stamp. If I remember right you can replace your cats if your car is five years or older, damaged/worn and have atleast 50,000 miles. You shouldn't have any problems with the JBA catted mids because the cats are in the stock location.
GM4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
stock cats are warranted for 8 yrs , 80,000 threw GM
aarons1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned Advertising BOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM4life View Post
Your best and only solution is to go with JBA headers and catted mids. The headers have a CARB approve stamp. If I remember right you can replace your performance catalytic converters if your car is five years or older, damaged/worn and have atleast 50,000 miles. You shouldn't have any problems with the JBA catted mids because the cats are in the stock location.
My 2006 G6 with a 2.4 engine had a catalytic converter issue. The catalytic converter internal melted & causes a 7.5 psi back pressure on the exhaust system. This caused the engine to loose power & use a large amount of fuel.

A new catalytic converter was fitted by the dealer. The service manager reported that my car was the 7th G6 that required a new catalytic converter. All units had melted & plugged up.
jhnharvy773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions