Low end torque loss with cat backs? - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I feel like its all about playing with the powerband and tone. Catbacks are not really a olid inestment in terms of HP gained for dollars spent. $800+ for a Magnaflow catback with posibly 5RWHP gained thats a pretty steep HP/$ ratio. For the same money you could do LT headers or JBA shortys and mids and see some real gains(15+RWHP have been seen with shortys and catted mids and much larger gains with LTs).

I may just swap the mufflers out to open up the tone a bit. My first move exhaust wise is going to be headers and mids and see how I feel about my stock 04 exhuast at that point.

'Moe
Ironmn715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
Problem is, you can't make generalizations like smaller is always better -OR- bigger is always better. Ironmn715 nailed it. It's all about flow velocity. Too small restricts it and you lose torque. Too big kills velocity, and you lose torque. You've got to hit the "just right" sweet spot where it's big enough so that it's not a restriction, small enough to keep flow velocity high.

Bear
Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I think people get too caught up on really small things like this for no reason. I think exhaust modifications have this weird "perception" of torque loss, and i think its more of the tone of the exhaust that gives this false impression. I honestly believe that a good free flowing exhaust system combined with other supporting mods and tuning will end up with more low, mid, and high end torque/power etc. Sure peak power can shift depending on the tune/combination of parts, but I just wouldn't get too caught up on things like this. just my .02
SyncTSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Intake and Exhaust Discussions