05' M6 Hard to shift 1st and Reverse - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
What's really messed up in this situation is how the shop first told me they believe the sound was a bearing going bad in the transmission. Then they change their diagnose to transmission needing an oil change. After the oil change makes absolutely no difference to the sound they then call it normal. So basically they misdiagnosed, didn't fix the issue, and then said it was good to go charging me $200 on the way out when this is likely a warranty covered issue. Also, they go for syncro's likely being bad to a bad shifter when svede is telling me it would be extremely rare for a shifter to be bad at my vehicles mileage. What should I do in this situation?
gt4awd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yea im not sure why or how car shops have decided they can charge customers for their own stupidity and ignorance, just because they spent time doing dumb work doesn't mean the customer has to pay.

I was formally into DSM cars and let me tell you they had their share of trans/shifting problems haha. The GTO has been pretty easy to deal with so far for me. I would advise taking it to a reputable performance shop that understands aftermarket clutch assemblies and these types of issues. general repair shops just replace shit, and generally don't care enough to solve complex issues like this. Goodluck, if you were in ohio I have a lot of suggestions, but I don't know of anyone in that area.
SyncTSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #14 (permalink)

Another update. Took her back to the shop and went for test drive with the service manager. He of course heard the sound and told me they would figure out what's wrong. The shop came back at me with diagnoses for shifter boot torn. This is the first issue on their diagnose tree. They wanted $300 to install this $60 part. I declined service, and as of now would like to replace to boot myself, and install an aftermarket shifter. If the boot doesn't solve the whine sound, and the shifter doesn't correct the reverse issue I'm back at square one.

Really don't think either will solve my issues. Basically right now I'm forced to do both in order to rule them out though. I'm reading a lot about the rear end developing a whining sound on our GTO's. Maybe that is the cause? What's bothering me is that I can hear, and increase the sound before a gear is engaged by holding it at that point of resistance. Do syncro's sound like a possible issue before this? I need to find good price on replacing the boot. Any suggestions? The GM OEM is $65 through that dealership. I also need to find an aftermarket shifter. I'm seeing BMM as the main available going for an average of $200. Any help would be appreciated!

I've been researching a lot about transmission whine on our GTO's, and I guess a main cause is the rear end. Took a friend for test drive today, and he could hear the whine outside vehicle. Driving I hear it coming through the shifter. Could I be experiencing the common differential whine? Again this sound developed out of no where. That's why I don't think the shift boot is at fault. Maybe the sound is traveling through the rear end and resonating in the shifter assembly?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Two months back the transmission became hard to shift into first and reverse. Diagnosed at the shop as a bad slave cylinder. Replaced slave and installed Monster Stage 1 clutch. Not cheap to say the least. Here I am two months later and it is now again hard to shift into 1st and reverse. Reverse being the worst I really have to force it in with multiple pushes sometimes. Other times it's fine. All other gears seem more hesitant to engage as well. What could be the cause of this? I would really hope the brand new slave isn't already failing! Please help!
We seem to be getting off-track to help solve your problem! I thought the problem was the shifting issue with 1st & reverse after the new clutch install. We appreciate you using this forum to find information but let's not expand the problem we started with. The rear end in these cars do whine sometimes ....but it has nothing to do with your car not going into reverse. It sounds like the people (I hate to use the word mechanics) you have taken this car to for diagnosis, don't know what they are talking about. Best next move would be to find someone with the skill to give a more plausible diagnosis than the shifter boot is ripped so it won't go into reverse ......Really?

The shifters most recommended on this forum are the GMM RipShift or the MGW-P.
68OldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I had issue with no reverse, syncro was replaced, check lockout soleniod operation if you still do not have reverse. RP syncromesh trans fluid can really help with shift quality. Torco RPG fluid for rear diff really helps with diff noises. You will need FM with Torco fluid. Just a thought, carrier bearing on drive shaft, they make noise when going bad and sounds like trans? Hard to say, change diff fluid, inspect carrier bearing on DS.
SWGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #17 (permalink)

New shop has diagnosed three bad gears (worn down) after complete teardown of transmission. Warranty has decided to not to cover this $1700 repair because of the Monster stage 1 installed less than 5k miles. Shop wants basically $800 in parts, and $900 in labor to fix the transmission. I should have never put in the stage 1 monster. Now I'm out a lot of money because of this decision.

The shifting was an issue well before installing the aftermarket clutch. They could never diagnose what was wrong. Dealership manager is trying to get warranty company to cover repairs, but I don't think that'll happen even considering the circumstances. Shop wants the $800 in parts for the three gears. I've searched for the entire gear cluster with minimal results. Can anyone help here? What should I do? Think at this point I will cancel the warranty and get back whatever I can from the $2000+ spent on it. This GTO has been a huge PIA for having 60k miles. Would have never expected so many issues on a low mileage vehicle...
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #18 (permalink)

You are always going to throw the dice when you buy a used car and then you consider the extra performance of the GTO and your chances of getting something worn out prematurely by a previous owner (beat on) are high. Look at the positive side ..... you have a new clutch and will have a new transmission that you know is going to be reliable for many more miles.

Just as an idea, Sometimes the GM Dealerships can influence an Insurance Co decision on covering a repair. The insurance is looking for any preexisting problems prior to the clutch install. Maybe you could have the dealer submit the first time you took the car to them and reported the shifting problem .... hopefully this would be prior to you getting the new clutch. I think the insurance could be convinced that the tranny should be covered if you can prove to them you had the shifting problem before the clutch install ... and can have it backed up by a dealer.

Good Luck!
68OldGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt4awd View Post
New shop has diagnosed three bad gears (worn down) after complete teardown of transmission. Warranty has decided to not to cover this $1700 repair because of the Monster stage 1 installed less than 5k miles. Shop wants basically $800 in parts, and $900 in labor to fix the transmission. I should have never put in the stage 1 monster. Now I'm out a lot of money because of this decision.

The shifting was an issue well before installing the aftermarket clutch. They could never diagnose what was wrong. Dealership manager is trying to get warranty company to cover repairs, but I don't think that'll happen even considering the circumstances. Shop wants the $800 in parts for the three gears. I've searched for the entire gear cluster with minimal results. Can anyone help here? What should I do? Think at this point I will cancel the warranty and get back whatever I can from the $2000+ spent on it. This GTO has been a huge PIA for having 60k miles. Would have never expected so many issues on a low mileage vehicle...
A Monster Stage 1 clutch is not responsable for transmission internal damage. Your warranty company is being retarded.

Its about the equaviant of an LS7 clutch upgrade from GM.

04 GTO - sold
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Yes, I am aware of the fact there's no way the clutch caused this damage. The warranty companies look for anything they can to deny an expensive repair claim. They even said there's a "rubber build up at wheel wells", and were accusing me of beating on the car. Damn thing can't even do a burnout because of stock suspension wheel hop. I went back and forth with dealership owner. Threatened to sue in small claims and to report to BBB. Eventually he gave in. He will cover 1/3, warranty company 1/3, and myself 1/3 or repair costs... What did help is the fact that I did bring vehicle in multiple times for shifting issues before the monster clutch was ever installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.