New Clutch Install! - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
New Clutch Install!

Some of you may already know but I live in Miami, Florida and within a month or 2 I will have the money and the go ahead to purchase my Monster Clutch and Rip Shift. I am very excited since I have dealt with this spec piece of s*** for a year now!!! hahaha anyways, I was wondering If anyone knew of a good shop near my area that is reasonably priced to do the install of the clutch and the shifter.

Also, I was wondering everyone's opinions on what else I should maybe look into changing out while getting the clutch and shifter done. It would be much easier to replace w/e needs to be done in one shot.

Thanx Everyone
Falco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (11)
Garage
If you don't have it most definitely the slave. A remote bleeder is also a good idea as the fluid gets contaminated and should be flushed periodically. A remote bleeder is fairly cheap and makes the job neat and easy.

SvedeSpeed OTRCAI|!MAF|HP Tuners|SLP LTs|FTI cam|SLP UD|243 Heads|FAST 102|2.5" Exh

Rip Shift|DSS shaft|Diamond Stg3 |Lovells |Koni|Harrop|SuperPro bushes|Pedders|Hotchkis|3.91s

svede1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Slave cylinder and remote bleeder for sure. Also check your rear main and rear cover for leaks and the oil pan gasket. Just did a stage 3 monster and knew there was a slight oil leak there somewhere and found the oil pan gasket was leaking and fixed that.
04torridm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

New clutch

I bought a spec clutch stage 2 and it so far has not even showed any progress than the burnt out stock one i replaced. i bought a new slave cylinder, throwout bearing,clutch master cylinder the only part i don't have replaced is the pilot bearing but i doesn't want to shift when i'm on the road well it only upshifts and when i want to downshift i have to turn the car off and start out in 1st gear or else it won't go. what is the problem? I'm losing my mind and i need a car asap!!!
oldgoat28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am not very familiar with clutch problems, but I do know that my Spec Clutch is the worst clutch I have ever driven with. Not only is it loud and chatters like crazy, but it just is not smooth at all. I have somewhat of the same problem you have, the only difference is when I slow down to make a turn, the car has to be below 15mph in order for it to even try and go into 2nd gear. Also putting it into reverse is a workout of its own.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

I am no expert at clutches or transmissions but an educated guess sounds like you have an issue somewhere with either the master and slave cylinders not keeping up or the slave cylinder needed shimmed and wasnt done. SPEC clutches sometimes need shimmed to work properly
04torridm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat28 View Post
I bought a spec clutch stage 2 and it so far has not even showed any progress than the burnt out stock one i replaced. i bought a new slave cylinder, throwout bearing,clutch master cylinder the only part i don't have replaced is the pilot bearing but i doesn't want to shift when i'm on the road well it only upshifts and when i want to downshift i have to turn the car off and start out in 1st gear or else it won't go. what is the problem? I'm losing my mind and i need a car asap!!!
I'd contact a shop to get an opinion.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks,GSR II struts,Lovells RR bushings,Kings 0 drop rears/20mm drop fronts.
ROBSGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Get a SS clutch line too.

Suspension:Pedders big bore shocks,GSR II struts,Lovells RR bushings,Kings 0 drop rears/20mm drop fronts.
ROBSGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

I would also consider a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch.
The Centerforce Dual Friction clutch is the best most durable
clutch I have ever used!
I use to have a Spec Stage 2 clutch and my Spec Stage 2
clutch disc failed on me after just 5K miles.I did the proper
break in that Spec recommends also and I was even pretty
easy on my Spec clutch during the time I had it.I really hated
the feel of the Spec Stage 2 clutch though.Overall the worst
clutch I ever used is the Spec clutch.
For a shifter I really like Pro 50 shifter alot!
IcemanGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 AM   #10 (permalink)

I looked into that clutch for a while but read everywhere that it does not hold up well when you have over 450 hp, which I plan on going over. I figured i'd get the Monster Level 4 clutch which holds up to 745 hp and is the same exact price as the Level 3 which holds less hp. So why not get the bigger one for the same price. Plus, I have heard constant awesome reviews about Monster's clutches and no one I have talked to has seemed to not like theirs. To tell you the truth, I just want to get rid of that annoying ass chattering sound from the clutch now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.