Popping sound 05 M6 - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Popping sound 05 M6

Any one ever had a popping sound, come front what seems like the rear diff or driveshaft? It usually happens on about the second drive of the day once everything is warmed up. And it happens when I'm in traffic. It doesn't jolt or anything. When I'm slowly releasing the clutch from first gear it just makes a popcorn kinda sound, almost like the rear diff is stiff and breaks free if you could imagine how that would sound but like i said it doesn't jolt. Or if i get into 5th and keep it at a certian RPM and let off the gas and jump back on it, its not smooth all the time it kidna kinda pops like the drive shaft is loose or something and rocking back and fourth. Anyone know what this could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
It's the normal slop in the drivetrain. Most everyone with a GTO has experienced this. It's more prominent in the maunal cars. Basically it will pop or clunk when the driveline goes from unloaded to loaded (at a stop and go to take off) or loaded to unloaded (driving and you let off the gas or push the clutch in).

The rear ends on the GTO's were setup with terrible factory specs. Factory backlash is .007" - .012". It should be down around .005. So basically there's a gap between the ring gear and pinion gear. When your moving the gears are meshed and everything is ok. When the driveline is loaded or unloaded the ring gear will clunk against the pinion gear because of that backlash gap.

Here's what I did to get it to go away 90% of the time:
Rear Subframe bushings
Rear Diff insert bushing
Poly motor mounts (Hinson)
Trans Mount with Revshift Bushing Insert

That stuff took a lot of play out of the driveline and quieted down the clunking. It would still happen here and there but not as bad as stock.

Just recently I got a replacement Rearend under extended warranty (ruined my original at the track) and its waaaayyyy clunkier then my original rearend. So depending on how bad your diff is set up, you may get it to go away with the stuff mentioned above, or you may always have it... Unless you have your rearend rebuilt. I'm so tired of the clunking from this replacement rearend, I just bought a Truetrac Diff and am having my original rear rebuilt.

Hope this info helps!

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for the help! Glad you didn't hit me with some super bad news.... lol Wonder if a new driveshaft and rear diff would make a difference.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:38 PM

No prob! I spent along time chasing that issue lol. Even GM knows about it and didn't warranty it on the factory year cars... said it was normal and not to worry about lol.

And an aftermarket 1 piece ds would probably just accentuate the problem as it's directly connected to the source of the clunk. The factory ds is connected on both ends by rubber and a rubber center carrier bearing.

The only real solution is having the diff rebuilt. That's the stage I'm currently at

I would say your best bet is motor and tranny mounts. I feel like that made the biggest difference in clunk feel. Then you can add the other bushings. Or just do it all at once and get it over with lol. Car feels much better after that stuff.

2006 GTO M6

Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

I acutally have new motor mounts sitting right next to me lol and transmisson mount with the blue revshift insert hahahahahah thought that was kinda funny when you mentioned it. And I'm in the process of changing the pinion seal and doing rear diff oil in the next couple weeks
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:05 PM

haha nice! Yeah hopefully that stuff helps! I did the diff oil just recently. Pretty easy process but that stuff staaaaaanks lol

2006 GTO M6

Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

haHAHAHAHAH o really?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Does it matter it you are turning or going straight when it makes that sound or is one worse than the other?

2004 Blk/Rd M6
6.3 litre LS1

Built and tuned by svede
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svede1212 View Post
Does it matter it you are turning or going straight when it makes that sound or is one worse than the other?

Sometimes in reverse it REALLY makes a popping sound. and I do hear a pop I want to say at like a perfect cruise in 3rd at like 25mph when i hit bumps and turn. I notice it then, in reverse sometimes, and mostly on the second drive of the day out of first in traffic, or if i play with the gas pedal in like 5th and make sudden gas changes like take my foot off completely in 5th and then just back on it to maintain speed
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 01:36 AM

If this helps...

I found that after a while of owning the car I actually changed my driving style to deal with that clunking. I hate annoying sounds and It was a while before I was able to replace all the bushings. So I used these techniques to help deal with it on the daily.

-I slip the clutch a little more on take off, easing into the rolling motion. This smoothly engages everything and it should be more quiet.
-Rev matching... I always blip the the throttle before releasing the clutch when moving. Especially when downshifting. The closer the engine speed is to drliveline speed during engagment, the less clunk there is... or you can avoid it all together. I made this a huge habit. Will also reduce wear and tear on your clutch.
-If driving at speed and let off, ease back onto the gas gently, then mash it or maintain speed. That will usually avoid the clunk too.

Of course that's not accounting for "spirited driving" or "hot rodding"

It's no "solution" but has kept me from pulling my hair out when im in traffic lol After almost 5 years of owning the car I'm finally going to get the diff rebuilt and hopefully never hear a clunk again.

2006 GTO M6

Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.