Steering Wheel shakes at 60mph - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Steering Wheel shakes at 60mph

I had new General UHP tires put on and balanced and aligned and my car still vibrates when I go 60...not above or below 60. I'm thinking about taking it back and having him balance it again.....has anyone else had this problem....it's very annoying considering I usually drive 60 on my way to work and back.....I go over and I get a ticket I go under and I look like a grandma....any suggestions???
lovin it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

anyone with shaking steering wheel

I have not had any responses to my thread about the steering wheel shaking at 60 mph.....am I the only one with this issue?? Also does any one have any suggestions on the weatherstripping mine has some sun damage and I have put the gummi pfledge on several times. It makes the parts that aren't dried up look new but the other damaged parts look the same. I purchased this car in May and I guess the owner before didn't take very good care of the exterior.
Old 08-18-2009, 12:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Could be the banance, alignment, wheels not torqued properly, bad wheel bearing, bushing, ect...

04 GTO - sold
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (179)
Garage
Check the tie rod ends. How are your struts? Any leakage? Does the car track one way or another when you hit the brakes, when you release from the steering wheel at that speed? Listen for any kind of bearing noise. Was the car ever involved in an accident?

Weatherstripping? Which weatherstripping, around windows, roof?
Is there dried wax on it making it look chalky dried out and aged? Is it just faded?
publicrelations@gtoaa.org

GTO JUDGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

It doesn't jerk to either side when I brake and if I let go of the wheel it drives straight it just shakes (the wheel). I'm not sure about it being in an accident....I wasn't told of one when I purchased it but I did purchase from a dealer. I read somewhere about the glue on weights.....how do you know if you have lost some when each wheel has different amounts of them? As far as the weatherstripping it is around the windows....no wax just where it has been exposed to the sun and really dried out in spots. I know when the alignment was done he said he set it at negative because that is the way these cars are set up to handle. He said that the inside of my tires will wear quicker because of that. Should I have it realigned?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Premature wearing on the inner tire can also be attributed to spring sag.
I thought about the glue on weights but you said it is still doing it even after new tires. Double check the tie rod ends for play.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

When I purchased the car it still had the original tires which where bald on the inside....the mechanic called me when he was getting ready to do the alignment and said he wasnt going to mess with it much because it is set at negative and that is where these tires need to be.....Well, I don't know if they need to be or not. I think I read someone say to have it at zero. The car only has 17k on it would the springs be sagging already? I asked the mechanic about the struts and everything else he could see and he said everything looked great???
Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
The common practice is to set the camber to a negative to compensate for the strut rub issues. The strut is to be tilted towards the engine. As the strut begins tilting away from the engine towards the tire more negative camber is given to compensate for the movement. This was explained in detail at a peddars seminar I attended. If your tires are balding on the inside it could be due to spring sag. Many of these cars are afflicted with this. You would have to measure the distance from the center of the wheel hub to the bottom of the fender. Without doing a search, I cannot recall the precise measurement for that distance but 21" rings a bell.

I check for signs of strut rub every 5k at tire rotation and I have not yet experienced strut rub. I did experience accelerated inner read wear on my original tires at about 24K. My car was within alignment and tires properly balanced. I found my rear springs were sagging and had them changed out under warranty. Apparently when the tires were rotated the tread was wearing but not real noticeable until they eventually wore at 5K miles.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

So with my tires slanted (negative) this will make my tires wear prematurely? I have lifetime balance and rotation so I'll probably just take it back and have them look at it. I appreciate the info and I'll let yall know what comes of it when I get a chance to take it in......other than the vibration issue and the weatherstripping I love my car just a lil scared after reading some of the other problems people have had with them..........
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

first thing i would say is to make sure you don't have a bent wheel. they should've told you at the tire shop where you got it balanced but not all do. where did you take it?
gto_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Drive train, suspension, alignment and brakes.