drag radials wheel & tire ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Wheels and tires
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
drag radials wheel & tire ?

Can any one tell me what wheel and tire combo works well on an 05 GTO. I just had the Pedders drag suspention put on. The car sits a littel higher now so I can probable go a bit wider with the wheel and tire. I would like to stay with the 17" wheel so I don't loose gear ratio. But I do rebuild trans and diffs for a living so that wont be a problem. I would just like to keep from doing that. I can also trim the lip on the fender if I need to. I'm looking for a good street strip tire that will give me the traction I need. Also I am willing to buy from any one on the forum that may have a set of theys wheels and tires that thay want to get rid of. If you now what works and where to get this stuff from it would help me out alot. The car is not my daily driver so wether is also not a problem.
thanks
Matts60GTO
matts60gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (11)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts60gto View Post
Can any one tell me what wheel and tire combo works well on an 05 GTO. I just had the Pedders drag suspention put on. The car sits a littel higher now so I can probable go a bit wider with the wheel and tire. I would like to stay with the 17" wheel so I don't loose gear ratio. But I do rebuild trans and diffs for a living so that wont be a problem. I would just like to keep from doing that. I can also trim the lip on the fender if I need to. I'm looking for a good street strip tire that will give me the traction I need. Also I am willing to buy from any one on the forum that may have a set of theys wheels and tires that thay want to get rid of. If you now what works and where to get this stuff from it would help me out alot. The car is not my daily driver so wether is also not a problem.
thanks
Matts60GTO
raising the back end isn't necessary (or desirable) to get a good tire on but you're at where you're at. because of squat and weight in the car you should have a set up that allows full wheel travel. wheel offset is the most important thing for the biggest tire in the back. stock 8 inch wide 17"s have 48mm offset. for a wider tire you're going to need a wider wheel. the best for 275-285 tires is to have about 58-60mm offset on a 9 to 9 1/2" wide wheel. they're hard to find. you can get your stock wheels widened an inch to an inch and half and that will let you keep the stock look, have the proper wheel width for the tire and that increases the stock offset. it's a bit expensive but it's cheaper getting two widened than buying 4 new ones. i had my rear 17"s widened to 9", mildly rolled my rear fenders, dropped the rear 3/4" and put 285s on with no rubbing. for maximum drag traction 15" wheels and the proper tire have a lot more sidewall and take the shock of launch better.

SvedeSpeed OTRCAI|!MAF|HP Tuners|SLP LTs|FTI cam|SLP UD|243 Heads|FAST 102|2.5" Exh

Rip Shift|DSS shaft|Diamond Stg3 |Lovells |Koni|Harrop|SuperPro bushes|Pedders|Hotchkis|3.91s

svede1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'm sure you're aware that the late model GTOs all have suspention problems from them being shipped to the US. So my car sits at its proper ride height now. I didn't really raise the back end the hole car just sits higher than it did do to suspention sag. So if i can find out what wheel and tire works the best for drag racing I would like to run that setup for racing. I'm not interested in the car going fast in the turns, i'm drag racing the car. I have the Pedders 90/10 drag struts on it now so its not going to like the turns so much now any way. I have been drag racing older cars ever since I could drive, but this car is a whole new animal for me. I'm still learning all the ins & outs with this car especially with the IRS. If I had the money I would like to convert it to a solid axle. So with all that said the stock 17" rim widened to 9"s will work well and fit with the fender trimed or rolled right?
thanks
matts60gto
Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (11)
Garage
the problem with our cars is that they are a 17" with 120mm bolt pattern and a 48mm offset. there aren't many that make wheels for them. if price is a consideration you could always get some Summit Stars 15" x 8" wide wheels in the back with 4.75" pattern and 5.50" backspacing. the pattern is close enough to 120mm that a lot of people use them

SvedeSpeed OTRCAI|!MAF|HP Tuners|SLP LTs|FTI cam|SLP UD|243 Heads|FAST 102|2.5" Exh

Rip Shift|DSS shaft|Diamond Stg3 |Lovells |Koni|Harrop|SuperPro bushes|Pedders|Hotchkis|3.91s

svede1212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks thats good to know. I can get a good set of slicks or drag radials with a tall side wall. That will take care of my traction problem. If you have any other tips that would be awesome. The car has tons of power and room to grow. Like I said I'm so useto the way the older cars work. This car is alot different. I do have to say the Pedders drag set up made a big difference. With a light burn out and traction control off it only spun through 1st gear and hooked up. It was nice!
thanks
matts60gto
Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

make sure you get axles and stubs before you start hooking well.
87GN06GTO07IRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thats on my needs to buy list. cluch, drive shaft, axles & stubs are the next to be ordered. I am also geting a full SLP exhaust, cold air intake & under drive pullys. I'm not to sure if i want to go into the motor just yet but will see.
thanks
matts60gto
Old 12-01-2009, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Thats on my needs to buy list. cluch, drive shaft, axles & stubs are the next to be ordered. I am also geting a full SLP exhaust, cold air intake & under drive pullys. I'm not to sure if i want to go into the motor just yet but will see.
thanks
matts60gto
Add a short shifter. It will take .1 off yor time atleast. And its cheap compared to modding the engine.

04 GTO - sold
jpalamar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Quote:
thanks
Matts60GTO
the 17" rims have nothing to do with gear ratio it's the OD of the tire. you can go with a 15" rim and have the same gear ratio or more if you would like.
thebassbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know its the over all OD but with a bigger wheel you can in some cases run into a larger tire OD and that will change the gear ratio. So the smaller the wheel I can get to fit the car the taller the side wall can be. That is what I'm looking for. The tire needs to flex around the wheel to get the car to hook up better. It will take some of the tire shock out of the equation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Wheels and tires