1964 GTO Convertible Frame Replacement - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Garage
1964 GTO Convertible Frame Replacement

I bought a 64 GTO convertible in April 2010 out of Missouri. If you're interested you can read about it here:

Nice Surprise

I've been driving if for the last couple of summers. One issue I did notice was the frame had a few soft spots on it. I've been looking for a replacement frame and about a month ago I found this advertised locally and made a deal.

The reason for the purchase was this was sitting under it.

The frame has been blasted and coated, all new front suspension, new brakes, brake lines, fuel line.......... and best of all, a 3:23 Posi rear end.

I figured I'd start a thread detailing the frame swap.

To make things a little more interesting, I'm converting the car from automatic to 4 speed in the process as well as likely going to front disc brakes and a dual reservoir master cylinder. I dropped off the M-21 I have for it at the tranny shop today for them to go over it. If anyone has a floor shift column they want to get rid of, let me know.

I'm parting out the Skylark so if anyone needs any convertible parts among virtually anything else you can think of...... PM me.

I'll try to keep this updated as work progresses. Wish me luck

Allan

Last edited by Al T; 08-13-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Al T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Can someone tell me which crossmember mount holes are used to locate the crossmember for the 4 speed?

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Old 09-28-2012, 12:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
I've got the M-21 back and picked up a box of 4 speed conversion parts for an "A" body. I've got a little restoration to do on them, but they look OK all in all. Can someone tell me the exact placement of the z-bar bracket onto the frame? Also can I resuse the pedal bracket in the car and just remove the brake pedal arm and replace with the clutch and brake pedals, or do I need to change the mounting bracket also?

I've pretty well run the tank dry in the car, I guess it's time to start tearing this thing apart this week-end. I haven't picked up the flywheel, clutch or pressure plate yet. Would someone also be able to tell me what I should be using here for the 66 421 in the car?

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well that sucks. Started diassembly this morning. Pulled off the rocker trim, and then started removing body mount bolts. The first bolt snapped off before it woudl budge.

Can I get at the caged nuts to spray them with penetrating oil before I start removing them? I know I can get to the 4 at the firewall, how about the rest?

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
I had a cage nut spin on me from breaking free. I had to cut a small square hole about 1"x1" with a cutoff wheel. Little bit of welding, grind smooth, cover with carpet and never see it.

I am not sure there is any other way to get the cage nut if its broken off.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Garage
So, I've got 3 body bolts to deal with to free the body, but the front clip is ready to come off...... Except for the remote mirror cable. Can someone advise as to whether the remote toggle assembly is supposed to fit through the firewall opening (it doesn't). I need to deal with this so I can remove the clip...... then there might be some photos worth posting.
Here's one as a teaser.

Thanks in advance.

Allan
Old 10-31-2012, 07:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al T View Post
Well that sucks. Started diassembly this morning. Pulled off the rocker trim, and then started removing body mount bolts. The first bolt snapped off before it woudl budge.

Can I get at the caged nuts to spray them with penetrating oil before I start removing them? I know I can get to the 4 at the firewall, how about the rest?

Thanks in advance.

Allan
I am familiar with those bolts. My bolts reduced their diameter by half between the head of the bolt and the thread by corrosion. That is where mine twisted off. Real PITA! Ordered new ones from Ames for about $3.00 each. Enjoying your progression! 421 huh! I remember those 65 2+2's at the drag strip with a slush-a-matic transmission would just clean my clock, often winning their class week after week.
the65gto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage
Success

A little bend to the opening in the firewall and success. I need to cut a couple of body bolts on the week-end and the body should be off..... knock on wood..

One thing I haven't mentioned is the car will be going back it's original color of Starlight Black. I have a little work to do to undo a previous color change to white. Will be much easier with the body off the frame.

This also showed up yesterday...... it will help with the conversion.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the65gto View Post
421 huh! I remember those 65 2+2's at the drag strip with a slush-a-matic transmission would just clean my clock, often winning their class week after week.
I'm hoping with the rebuilt 4 speed, my '64 will be a little quicker than the 65/66 2+2's . Even with the crappy two speed auto and the non-posi rear, it had a ton of torque to put down.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al T View Post
I'm hoping with the rebuilt 4 speed, my '64 will be a little quicker than the 65/66 2+2's . Even with the crappy two speed auto and the non-posi rear, it had a ton of torque to put down.

Here is an article I had saved at the time. 0-60 3.9 Seconds, "An accelerative land vessel par excellence"
Attached Thumbnails
1964 GTO Convertible Frame Replacement-2plus2.jpeg  
the65gto is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions