1964 GTO Convertible Frame Replacement - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Thanks!
Al T is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Garage
Life kind of got in the way over the last couple of months but I did get some work done over the last week. The bolts are out and everything disconnected with the exception of the emergency brake cable. What is the best way to get the cable unclipped out of the firewall. Once that's done, the body will be off......pictures to follow.

"Edit" - I ended up taking a small hose clamp and sliding it over the prongs on the emergency brake cable, tightened it down and was able to remove the cable......... if anyone was wondering

Can someone tell me the correct location for the z-bar frame bracket?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Al T; 12-31-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage
I said in the first post "a few soft spots".......... Holy crap!! The body was almost holding the frame together!! Not only that, bondo patching rust holes in the frame. Unbelievable! Extremely glad I'm doing this.

Kicked the frame with a steel toed boot on.... lightly.

A few more taps with a body hammer....

With the body off the rot is obvious......and much worse than I thought.

With New Years Eve plans, here's where I leave it today.

Hope to pull the engine/transmission tomorrow and get the new frame into the shop, and this piece of crap gone. I drove my kids in this car! The video of the frame flexing at the "steel toed boot" spot by simply pressing down on the rear crossmember is unbelievable.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/s...A3F37AEFCE.mp4

Happy New Year to all.

Last edited by Al T; 12-31-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I got accomplished today what I wanted to. Engine and tranny out and split. Engine on the stand, paper mâché frame out of the shop, the restored frame in. While the 421 is out I'll be cleaning, repainting, and resealing. Considering how bad the frame was, I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in the drive when it's all back together.

I now need to order gaskets, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch, etc, etc, etc......
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

wow.. those pictures of the frame are pretty scary looking. What did you use to pull your body off the frame?
curtdan62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Al T,
Wow, that is a great job you're doing. I LOVE the 64's.
can't believe how flexy that old frame was. Amazing. Didn't your door edges jam into the quarters when you hit a bump or accelerate?

I have a convertible that I've converted to 4 speed. The Z bar tab goes on between two frame holes. I'll try to attach a pic.....I have several pix I found on the 'net to help me place mine when I welded it.

Edit: I added another of my frame...with the new tab....it's a 67 but is the same from 64 to 67....

Good luck.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
1964 GTO Convertible Frame Replacement-zbarbracket65.jpg   1964 GTO Convertible Frame Replacement-img_8815.jpg  

Last edited by Squidtone; 01-02-2013 at 10:16 PM. Reason: added anothe picture.
Squidtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtdan62 View Post
wow.. those pictures of the frame are pretty scary looking. What did you use to pull your body off the frame?
An overhead beam...... It has been well used on numerous occasions. Highly recommended for anyone building a shop.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidtone View Post
Al T,
Wow, that is a great job you're doing. I LOVE the 64's.
can't believe how flexy that old frame was. Amazing. Didn't your door edges jam into the quarters when you hit a bump or accelerate?

Good luck.
Dave
The body was pretty flexy. Definitely understand why! Check out the bondoed over crack on the inside of the frame opposite the "steel toed boot" spot. Crazy!!

The old frame will be chopped up this week-end and sent to the metal recycler. I had originally planned on selling the frame, but now..... not a chance!!

Allan
Old 01-12-2013, 05:05 PM   #19 (permalink)

Garage
The frame is still here. It just gets better......... I went to remove the rear end this afternoon. Hmmm..... there's no access hole to get at the lower control arm mounting bolt on the driver's side frame rail (which I thought was the good side). A couple of taps with a 2 pound hammer......... WTH! Completely bondoed over!!

What kind of person would "restore" a car this way??

I'm going to cut up the frame tomorrow. Is there anything worth keeping? The boxing plates look OK, rails from the differential back are OK, back crossmember is good also.

The fun continues........

Allan

Last edited by Al T; 01-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #20 (permalink)

Garage
Everyday is another surprise on the old frame. I finished removing the rear differential and front suspension........... nice matching front brakes

Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions