1969 Ram Air Hood Pan Install ? - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 09:50 AM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 9
My Photos: (0)
1969 Ram Air Hood Pan Install ?

I purchased a "repop" Ram Air set up for my 69'. The enclosed paperwork indicated that some metal needs to be removed from the hood braces. A photo was included, showing the area where the metal was cut out, but no measurements were listed. Can anyone supply me with them ? Thanks....Phil
plastic61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic61 View Post
I purchased a "repop" Ram Air set up for my 69'. The enclosed paperwork indicated that some metal needs to be removed from the hood braces. A photo was included, showing the area where the metal was cut out, but no measurements were listed. Can anyone supply me with them ? Thanks....Phil

Hi I was wondering if you ever got a response back on this question- I am also looking for information on how to install a ram air III kit on my 1969 gto-I was given the picture only and it indicated some metal needed to be removed from the hood braces, but I wasn't given any measurements, etc. Thanks John
joni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 4,237
My Photos: (12)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joni View Post
Hi I was wondering if you ever got a response back on this question- I am also looking for information on how to install a ram air III kit on my 1969 gto-I was given the picture only and it indicated some metal needed to be removed from the hood braces, but I wasn't given any measurements, etc. Thanks John
I'm thinking about buying a kit for my 69 as well. I know that one of the vendors who sells them also sells a template with markings that you can use to make the cuts. I don't remember which vendor it was --- probably OPGI or Ames.

Bear

Edited: I just found a template at Ames for $39 - their part number is N174PTT
__________________
BearGFR
Garland, TEXAS
BearGFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,104
My Photos: (172)
Garage
The template is a necessary item if you want the job done right. This template is self sticky and is applied to the underside of the hood. You can tape it on use it then sell it to re-coup some of your money. 40.00 is about right.

Complete Ram Air Kits can be found on Ebay for 800 or so.
If you want the heat riser shield that is additional. IMO if you are going to spring for the kit do it right and not omit this or that.
__________________
GTO JUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 4,237
My Photos: (12)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
The template is a necessary item if you want the job done right. This template is self sticky and is applied to the underside of the hood. You can tape it on use it then sell it to re-coup some of your money. 40.00 is about right.

Complete Ram Air Kits can be found on Ebay for 800 or so.
If you want the heat riser shield that is additional. IMO if you are going to spring for the kit do it right and not omit this or that.
GTO Judge, have you done one of these? I'm interested in details about the experience, if so...

I have a real/original RA III lower pan, and my original factory scoop inserts that I opened myself many years ago. I'm very strongly inclined to go ahead and build out the complete system. If I do that, I'm going to have a tough time deciding which decals, if any, to put on the sides of the hood scoops. I'm running real #722 Ram Air IV heads but I'm concerned that putting on those Ram Air IV decals would be too much of an "advertisement" to folks who might decide they "need" my car more than I do. I might just leave them unlabelled --- haven't decided.

Bear
__________________
BearGFR
Garland, TEXAS

Last edited by BearGFR; 03-09-2011 at 11:53 AM.
BearGFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,104
My Photos: (172)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
GTO Judge, have you done one of these? I'm interested in details about the experience, if so...

I have a real/original RA III lower pan, and my original factory scoop inserts that I opened myself many years ago. I'm very strongly inclined to go ahead and build out the complete system. If I do that, I'm going to have a tough time deciding which decals, if any, to put on the sides of the hood scoops. I'm running real #722 Ram Air IV heads but I'm concerned that putting on those Ram Air IV decals would be too much of an "advertisement" to folks who might decide they "need" my car more than I do. I might just leave them unlabelled --- haven't decided.

Bear
If the hood were wood I would have no problems doing this.... LOL

A friend of mine who is a body man did this. I got the template from Ames and he taped it on the hood and cut it out. I then sold the template and recouped my money.

Doing this without a template is risky for proper alignment of the hood pan.

The aftermarket plastic hood scoops that came in the kit don't line up like OEM ones. Most are like this I am told and some are advertising it, and I have seen many like mine. Don't look bad but there is a slight gap between the molding of the hood and the scoop itself. I have a set of OEM scoops and was gonna have him remove the back to open them up for R-A, but it will not work as the measurements to the flaps will not mesh. So be warned on this. OEM ram air scoops I seen for sale..... too high for me to pay. I'll live with these until I find a set reasonable.

If you are gonna advertise RA IV the heat riser shields from the block to the pan are on both sides of the engine but you probably already know this.

My buddy is a top notch body guy he's a Pontiac guy and has concourse a '69 judge and '68 GTO CV, and I am very comfortable with him operating on this car.
__________________
GTO JUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
BearGFR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Garland, TX
Posts: 4,237
My Photos: (12)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
...I have a set of OEM scoops and was gonna have him remove the back to open them up for R-A, but it will not work as the measurements to the flaps will not mesh. So be warned on this.

...If you are gonna advertise RA IV the heat riser shields from the block to the pan are on both sides of the engine but you probably already know this.
I was wondering if the "real" RA scoop inserts were different... Well, what the heck? I've had to modify and custom fit everything else on this car so why stop now? If the problem is that the non-RA inserts are too short, then I can make some sheet metal extensions to match them up to the flapper assembly. Is that the problem?

Yeah, I know about the differences in the lower pan/heat stoves, but since I'm running headers I'm not going to have those on either side anyway. To me, the "key" component of being able to label it as a "IV" is having those heads. I know that purists might call me on it, since it won't have the aluminum intake either and the block is "just" a YS, but if the criteria becomes power and performance, then I think I've got that department more than covered...

Bear
__________________
BearGFR
Garland, TEXAS
BearGFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
GTO JUDGE's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 8,104
My Photos: (172)
Garage
I don't see why it wouldn't work (adding a piece to the back of the scoop). All needs to be is so the flapper seals it off. If the scoops are a white metal, welding won't work. The scoops under the hood are hidden anyway.
The flappers spring tight against the back of the scoop. Perhaps using a sample RA scoop to mock it up will get you like a virgin >> Gut-in-tite.
__________________
GTO JUDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
 
69Goatee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 211
My Photos: (0)
I installed a factory original RAIII setup on my '69 Goat. All it was missing was the scoops, heat riser, heat flapper, foam seals and one cable. Got it all for $500. The factory flapper door bracket mounts to the back of open hood scoops, so hollowed out closed and extended scoops will not work without mods. I cut my hood braces myself a little at a time. The cut is to clear the flapper door assembly, and cannot be seen with the upper pan in place, so no worries if it is not perfect, mines not. I bought aftermarket plastic RA scoops, they fit the hood good, not great. The mounting studs on the bottom broke off very easy, but the flapper assembly kept them in place for years. I used fiberglass filler and mat to cover the heat riser holes in the upper pan because I an not installing a heat riser system and didn't want any hot engine air to enter, plus I am running headers.I also fiberglassed over the factory breather holes in the lower pan. I changed to a 14 inch filter from the factory 13 inch, different lid painted black to match. Hope this helps.
69Goatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
 
likethat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dayton, Oh and St. Louis, Mo.
Posts: 675
My Photos: (0)
About 6 years ago at a swap meet I seen a complete IV engine it was totally disassembled but looked to be all there. The guy was wanting like 6G's for it. I chuckled and moved on.
__________________
66 GTO 4bbl power windows A/C auto
67 GTO H.O. Convert 4spd
likethat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can you turn the ram air hood into a functional ram air? court_jester06 Intake and Exhaust Discussions 12 07-25-2010 01:36 PM
Looking for reproduction Ram Air pan JimT 1964-1974 GTO parts for sale (Price & Pictures Required) 0 06-30-2010 06:11 PM
1968 Ram Air Carb Pan ..... ramairthree 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions 0 04-04-2009 05:52 PM
1969 GTO Ram Air III - project car Eagle 1 General Classifieds 2 01-22-2008 07:45 PM
Ram air hood pageme136 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion 6 05-16-2006 05:39 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.