After market gauges - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
If you're using electrical gauges (as you specified in your original question) in addition to indicator lights, yes you will need two different types of sending units for both, and you'll also need separate wiring for both. The lights are controlled by a simple on/off switch. Once the coolant temp passes a certain point, the temp switch turns on (shorts to ground) thus turning on the light. If oil pressure is not present, the oil pressure switch shorts to ground and turns on the oil pressure light. Electrical gauges need sending units that are more than just on/off switches. Sending units for electrical gauges "read" either the coolant temperature or the oil pressure and turn that into an electrical resistance that is "read" by the associated gauge and displayed as a value (digital) or a movment of the needle (analog).

If you're going to replace indicator lights with gauges, you -do- have to discipline yourself to develop a habit of visually scanning your gauges often enough to notice a problem before it gets serious. Pilots are accustomed to doing this.
People can and do "miss" indicator lights too, it happens all the time, but I do agree that in general they're easier to notice especially if they're big enough, bright enough, and located in your normal field of vision.

You could avoid part of the "dual sending unit" problem by running a mechanical oil pressure gauge as opposed to an electrical one. If there's such a thing as a mechanical coolant temperature gauge though, I'm not aware of it.

Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I like the idea of running a mechanical oil pressure gauge along with the indicator light. That way I have just the one oil pressure sending wire on the engine harness to worry about. I assume I would just add the indicator sending unit to the mix where the oil filter is?..... As for the electrical temp. I'm not sure just how to have two sending units screwed into the tri power manifold. I haven't looked carefully yet, but I don't think it has but one place for that. At any rate, it would probably look Ok with two wires running into that location. I guess I would just wrap the additional wire into the harness going that way to look correct. Sorry if I sound a little confussed. I just want to get it right.....
gtoearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
A mechanical oil pressure gauge just needs to "see" oil pressure from some place. One spot that some folks like to use is the screw-in plug on top of the block near the distributor.

Bear
Old 12-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
Just in case you want to keep the original look....Peter Serio at Precision Pontiac can restore your gauge clusters, OR build you a new set. He did mine, and they came out beautiful.....They look much better in real life, as I can't figure out how to get rid of "muzzle flash" from the camera, which causes glare. Eric
Attached Thumbnails
After market gauges-gto-022.jpg  
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Thanks for the info...Just so happens I've been think about that and am wondering if this guy would take a trade for a refurbished 66 rally gauges. I mistakenly bought in fairly good condition 67 rally gauges. Any idea what I would be looking at for a price, based on what you may have paid......I know it would be a total guess....But it would give me something to think about. thank for you conments.....
gtoearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
Earl, Go to Pete's website...call him....he would be HAPPY to talk dashes with you. he is a very personable guy, and loves the hobby. I would be gussing if I gave you any numbers! Eric Precision Pontiac Home Page
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions