Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Headlights not working?

11K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  pjw1967 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I just bought my first GTO, a 1968. I'm having some issues with the headlights not coming on. The hideaway covers work well and all the indicator lights and tail lights work fine. However the headlights will not come on. Even my brights won't come on. The actual headlights seem like they were recently replaced so I'm not thinking burned out bulbs. I'm no wiz when it comes to electrical work, but it seems that all the wires are connected and in good working order. The dash lights up just fine too. Any help or ideas? Thanks!

#4 ·
Best thing to do is get a test light and go through the fuses one by one. with the key in the run position. First check one side of the fuse and then the other. Also with the test light you can put the switch on and check the plug that goes into the light. If the test light works when you put the light in the plug your ( it is going to bad ground) If does not work you have to get a wiring diagram for the switch and see where power comes in and out. The only other thing is check the head light harness on the firewall. keep me posted.

#9 ·
Yep, I replaced it after taking this picture. That's actually how I knew it was bad. :) I still have no taillights or dash lights so I need to dig deeper - test all the fuses as you mentioned.

I was posting this picture to help the original poster.... 968gtonoob. Sorry 968gtonoob, I wasn't trying to high-jack your thread.

Dan

#11 ·
Although a bit "*******" way of checking, rattle the light switch in and out, around a bit, and look for a flicker of light out front. That's a cheater way of determining if the switch is bad or worn. Most headlight switches from that era are also thermally "protected" and use a bimetal tab to open the circuit should a short or excess load be sensed. If it happened a few too many times (high amp lights,etc) it may need a new switch.

#12 ·
Ground wires. There are ground wires in the headlight connector harness on both sides that need to be connected to a good ground on the core support.

Remove the bezels and the headlights so you can get access to the connectors and check for them. If you pull the connectors and harnesses out through the holes in the backs of the headlight buckets, you should be able to spot them.

Bear

#13 ·
My headlights just quit. Still have parking lights and taillights in the parking light switch position. Have taillights in the headlight switch position. All other lights (dash, courtesy) work. Wiggled the switch while moving in and out. Nada. Switch failure? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.