How much does changing the cars original color affect its value? - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
How much does changing the cars original color affect its value?

I am getting ready to start my restoration of my 1966 sport coupe. It has all its documentation including the original window sticker. Currently it has its second paint job which is badly faded so original paint isnt an issue here. It will be getting a nice new paint job but I am wondering if changing the color to a different 1966 standard GTO color would greatly affect the value or is it something I shouldnt worry about? I plan on keeping the car long term.
grabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

My Photos: (473)
On my 66, since the drive train was numbers matching I went back to the original color with a black vinyl top. I wanted the car to look like it did when it was new on the showroom floor.

JMHO

05GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

if you are certain that you will have it for a long time then paint it whatever color you want.then when/if you sell it many years from now the value will most certainly be much higher,so the non-original color won't matter all that much.
even steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (16)
The original color will matter no matter when you go to sell it. But if you plan on keeping it for more then the life of the paint job, then by all meens paint it the color you want.
Like 05GTO I repainted mine right back to the factory original color, not that I plan on selling it cause I don't, but I just happen to love love love the color it is.

Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Burn-out videos.
Rukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Changing the factory color will hurt the bottom line price, certainly. Original color and numbers cars will be worth more, period. That said, I repainted my Signet Gold '67 convertible in the original color in 1986, and the car looked ok, but kind of faded into the background. I re-did it in 1993 using 1968 Flambeaux Burgundy paint (I liked the color..'68GTO). The car looked like a million bucks, and still does, in my opinion. I left my '65 Blue Charcoal when I redid it in 1985, because, like Rukee, I like the color and it still looks great. (May be my favorite GTO color!). I know a lot of people who "don't plan on selling it" who end up "having to sell it". It happens a lot. Paint it the color you want and enjoy the car. Yes, it will affect the value. Yes, it will look the way you want it to. You only live once.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

changing paint colors

figure about 15 to 20% reduction in value at resale time if changing from original color. That is if its still a factory color but just not THE original factory color. Just my observation from shopping for 65-66-67 GTO's over the last few months. But if you can live with that value change pick your color and enjoy it.
aviate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (54)
basically its a question of would you rather drive something you love to look at or something you know is worth more money- I myself married for love
crustysack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

In my opinion it would depend on the original color. If the car is green with black interior, I would bet it would sell for more if it was re-painted a period correct red/ black or blue.
Those are the more desirable colors and it usually doesn't matter if it was original to the car.
Besides, you said you're going to keep it for the long term. Paint it any color you like.

I would stress keeping it a period correct color. The newer colors available today just don't look right on a muscle car. They do look cool on street rods though.
Silver69GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (54)
I think a newer color looks fine thats just my opinion though
Attached Thumbnails
How much does changing the cars original color affect its value?-645_3191.jpg  
crustysack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Crusty, your newer color looks sort of like Silvermist Grey from '64....but darker. Silver '69 is, I think, referring to "modern" colors like coral, day glo turquoise, etc. etc. All that Boyd Coddington street rod stuff. Your gunmetal color looks age-appropriate and contemporary at the same time. It's allmost as pretty as Blue Charcoal.....
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions