Which insurance comp to use - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
All 3 of my collectors are under Grundy. Hagerty couldn't come close and does not offer as good a policy as Grundy. I even gave Hagerty a chance to match Grundy, NOPE. I shopped and shopped for the best deal.

100 percent.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Haggerty has excellect service throughout.
Where ever you go, make sure it's a collector policy with agreed value. Several years ago I switched to AAA collector policy. Multi car discount, multi policy discount, and other discounts really dropped the premium.
porkandbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Former Moderator

Add another one in the Grundy column.......

90% the purchase price in 1969? I'm with Alky, that's a hoot!

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
68greengoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
I have all my insurance with State Farm and a seperate stated value policy on the GTO. I got a quote from Hagerty last year and they couldn't match the price. I also like dealing with my local agent. He had me bring the car down to the office for photos last year as the home office in Bloomington was questioning why they were insuring a '68 Pontiac for 30K. After the photos were submitted they said "no problem!"
kilkm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (172)
Garage
For anyone comparison shopping

Just got my 2013 renewal policy from Grundy

Total 808.00 + 35.00 for underinsured, uninsured for a total of 843 for my:
'70 GTO 218.00
'05GTO 316.00
'02 Trans-Am WS.6 274.00

Rate includes a 2% agreed value total increase 100.00 ded for comprehensive
My agreed value more than compensates me for full replacement with no deductible. Unlimited mileage for all cars they are classified as pleasure. My DD drivers are insured elsewhere.

My T/A for traditional insurance was just under 500.00 and depreciates totaled? Book Value
My '05 GTO was in the 450+ range same deal for traditional coverage.

Yes Grundy insures newer cars as collectibles. They are not DD drivers but I drive them for pleasure and car shows under Grundy's guidelines.

I am not advocating Grundy I gave Hagerty a chance to match the above each of the past 2 years along with Grundy's roadside, and out of town coverages and was told no way could they come close. I will not waste my time with them trying to match again. My normal auto insurance co underwrites Hagerty policies and they too said no way can they come close. I also shopped several other Collector car insurance companies they were all more than Hagerty.

Because of minimum rate insurance companies like GEICO, the General just to name 2 that give bare bone coverages I have to pay an additional 35.00 to cover any loss due to the negligence of those who go with these scab outfits. Most don't realize they are subject to lawsuits if they are guilty of an at fault accident and their fantastic deal can't cover them so they subject themselves to a huge financial risk. The false sense of security they gamble with I have to pay for, so do you.

Last edited by GTO JUDGE; 01-28-2013 at 07:03 AM.
GTO JUDGE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
That's a great rate for agreed value and unlimited mileage ! Might have to look into that myself. Rates for the late models seem very reasonable
ALKYGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
That's a great rate for agreed value and unlimited mileage ! Might have to look into that myself. Rates for the late models seem very reasonable
They are good rates. I put less than 4K a year on the late models and 2-3500 on the '70

The agreed value I have on all I can shop for a replacement for less.

I saw on My Classic Car with Dennis Gauge, Grundy is now offering insurance for everything. Rates are tailored to your driving conditions.

The insurance for my T/A ( actually I purchased this for my wife) is less than half of what Erie's Insurance is.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
I read this thread just because I'm interested how car insurancy in the US works.
Are there additional costs like some kind of taxes for a car or do you "only" have to pay the insurancy? Don't want to be off-topic.. but if anyone can give me a short overview of car related costs / year it would be very interesting Thank you!
(I have to pay a total of $2400 for my 66 GTO every year where I live, this is insurancy+taxes)
Chris-Austria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:15 PM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Austria View Post
I read this thread just because I'm interested how car insurancy in the US works.
Are there additional costs like some kind of taxes for a car or do you "only" have to pay the insurancy? Don't want to be off-topic.. but if anyone can give me a short overview of car related costs / year it would be very interesting Thank you!
(I have to pay a total of $2400 for my 66 GTO every year where I live, this is insurancy+taxes)
Each insurance company has their own way of insuring. There are no additional taxes on insurance. Insurance companies are in the business of taking your money not giving it away. If you have an at fault accident, you will be surcharged or dropped outright. Many insurance companies now offer no surcharge for your fist accident. Your premiums are reflected by several factors, area of the country, age, gender, risk and VIN of car.

The younger you are the more high risk you are and pay a premium for it. To combat that bottom rate companies began providing people a cheap rate for as little coverage as possible. People jump at that to get cheap coverage and only are covered to a small amount that more than likely cannot cover their damages to a more expensive car, then they are hauled into court by the victim and sued through their teeth. They roll the dice they do not have an at fault accident. Those like me have to pay for their cheapness and carry insurance to protect ourselves from them. IT SUX.

In Pennsylvania we are offered a choice between full tort versus limited tort coverages a choice to make in reducing insurance premiums. Full tort means you reserve the right to sue the person who hits you unconditionally. Limited tort means you wave the right to sue in most cases quick explanation I downloaded:

"limiting the rights of the named insureds and other parties qualifying as insureds under the policy to sue for “non-economic detriment” (i.e., pain and suffering) to cases in which the plaintiff suffered “serious
injury” (defined as “death, serious impairment of body function, or permanent serious disfigurement”), though they retain the right to sue for any unreimbursed economic losses (typically medical expenses or lost earnings exceeding the amount of available first-party benefits coverage, property damage and other out-of-pocket losses)."

In other words: To reduce a premium one chooses limited tort gambling they are never in a position to sue for personal injury. This is a risky option.

I gave you a brief overview. Each state here has their own criteria for insuring.

Collector car insurance is different than the above. Hope I gave you a good general overview of our system.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
For my GTO I only pay personal property tax of $50 (Mo. state) and aprox. $250 a year in insurance. The car is licenced as a "Historic Vehicle" so I have'nt had to have it inspected or licenced in 20 years.

Looks like we U.S. car enthousiast don't know how good we have it. Seems criminal to me to charge that much in taxes on a car that is over 40 years old.

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions