Need help with 389 tri-power - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 12:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Need help with 389 tri-power

cAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY THIS MOTOR IS IDLING SO RUFF? THE DISTRIBUTOR HAS BEEN CAPPED OFF BY THE MECHANIC AND THE
VACUUM PORT AT THE BACK OF THE CENTER CARB IS BEING USED
FOR THE VACUUM MODULATOR ON THE TRANSMISSION. THIS IS A NEWLY REBUILT MOTOR AND INTAKE SETUP. I WOULD APPRECIATE
YOUR ADVICE, INFO!
yesteryear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
If the mechanic 'capped off' the distributor and doesn't know why it's running so rough, you need another mechanic. There are lots of threads on this forum that deal with tune up issues, and a lot of information on the web. Depending on your mechanical savvy, you may need to do a little or a lot of homework. Start with basics: ignition dwell, timing, carb mixture, firing order, vacuum leaks, etc.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

My Photos: (473)
You need to share the vacuum going to the modulator with the vacuum advance, Place a "T" inline and run a new vac tube to the distributor.

Then follow Lars' advice on fine tuning;

GTO Tuning and Setup Tips

05GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Yes, that was the first thing I did this morning and ta da! Now I just need to adjust the mixture screws, HOPEFULLY. Took her for a test run and man she darn sure ain't no single 4 barrel 389 anymore, chirps second gear with out even trying.

To all that have responded to my post, threads, questions or whatever you computer people call them or whatever the heck they are. GOD BLESS YA! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I wish I knew how to post pics of the project! She's SWEET!
yesteryear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

My Photos: (473)
After clicking "add reply" scroll down to "manage attachments" then download the pictures to the forum and they will appear as an attachment in the thread. Pictures that are around 600 pixels wide are easily downloaded.

05GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions