new clutch - Page 3 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #21 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Garage
I've checked my old clutch and I can see that it is orange. On summitracing the only orange clutch is from Centerforce and always 11".
On the flywheel I could find the number "8621677" maybe there are 1 or two numbers before but I couldnt see it good enough.There was also the number 851826.

Is it possible to check if it's an universal flywheel or stock?

Here is a picture:
http://members.chello.at/cg-tuning/clutch.JPG
Chris-Austria is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 10:16 AM   #22 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
What you need to do is pull the trans, remove the clutch, match it up, and remove and resurface the flywheel. You'll be good to go. No mater what's in there, you'll be able to match it up. The car will not be out of action for long, in any case.
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Garage
That sounds good, thank you

What do you think of aluminium flywheels? They have half the weight (15lb instead of 30lb). Maybe I'll use a new lighter one if it doesn't have any disadvantages and if I do so I don't have to worry if the clutch will fit.

The shop where I buy my parts have following clutch kits for sale, which one do you think is best for street use and once or twice a drag race every year? I'm not driving around so much, if the pedal is a litte bit harder I'll survive it The engine produces probably about 350-400hp, I don't think that I will upgrade it much... If the clutch can handle up to something between 400-450hp it is enough.

Here are the available kits:

1. Centerforce dual friction (organic/carbon)
2. Centerfoce DFX (ceramic)
3. Ram Powergrip (iron organic)
4. Ram Powergrip HD (iron organic)
5. Mc Leod Super Street Pro (organic/ceramic)
6. Hays Steet/Strip (organic)
Old 10-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
I haven't put a clutch in mine since about 1984, and it's still in there. It's a McCleod unit, 3400lb rating, if I remember. Works great, but fairly high pedal effort. I've installed LUK clutches in a few GTO's, and like them a lot: very light pedal effort and plenty of holding power. It will be my next clutch, if I ever wear out the old McLeod. Stick with a steel flywheel: more inertia means easier starting and increased torque. Aluminum flywheels belong on high-revving small block engines that have little torque but lots of horsepower.
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #25 (permalink)

Garage
Good to know, so I'll try it with a clutch kit and the resurface the old flywheel.
What can I do if the clutch kit won't fit? How can I match it up?
I'll search the internet for LUK clutches.. but if I can't find one that ships to Austria, does anybody know some of the clutches I listed?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #26 (permalink)

Garage
Now that I rebuild my engine can you tell me what clutch material will be best?
A sintered metal will be not really good for street use I guess?
I want light-medium pedal effort and enough holding power.. most times it will be used on the street!
Organic, Kevlar, Ceramic or some mixture? (if it can handle about 500 torque and 400 hp it will probably be enough)
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
Chris - I'd call or email Mcleod and ask them for a recommendation. That's what I did after smoking another brand "high performance" clutch in my heavy, overpowered GTO and they were more than helpful. I bought what is called a 12" "cheater" clutch they offer. Single disc, good supposedly to 1000 hp.

It's worked beautifully so far holding the power except this year I have noticed that it seems as if the pressure plate is "losing tension" in that I have to put the pedal all the way to the floor to shift now and adjusting it made little to no difference. I've had it in the car for about 5 years, limited miles but hard use .

Mcloed also offers a "street twin" setup and I will probably step up to that next season.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #28 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you!
I finally know what size I need. I need a 10 3/8" disc and have a 10 spline.
For example these 2 would work, I only need to decide which one is the better choise:

1. Centerforce Dual Friction:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ct...tiac/model/gto

2. Mc Leod Super Street Pro:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mc...tiac/model/gto

Both are good for street use... My engine will make about 450hp I guess, so there is no need for a clutch that holds up to 1000hp.

Which one might be better?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 AM   #29 (permalink)

Garage
I have a question.. will the 10 3/8, 10.4 and 10.5" clutch sets all fit on a flywheel that cannot be equipped with the 11" disc?

My flywheel has been tested with an 11" disc which would normally fit the 428.. but it didn't. After that the mechanic measured it and told me that it has 10.375".. but for example Centerforce does only build 10.4" and the (non-fitting) 11". Ram only builds 10.5" for all Pontiacs that don't need 11".

Whats the deal with that?
Old 11-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
Just for reference the "10.4" is 10.400" (inches) and if your mechanic said 10.375" (inches) then thats what you want. Difference is only .025 of an inch.

Be sure to have your flywheel resurfaced also so the clutch disc has a fresh surface to bed to.
ALKYGTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions