Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Pilot Bearing Fell Out

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ALKYGTO 
#1 ·
Here is a good one. When I dropped the Muncie 4 speed out of my 69 GTO, the pilot bearing literally fell out. This is the first car I have worked on without a bronze bushing, but this doesn't seem normal. I can only find threads about guys struggling to get the bearing out - none with my problem.

I bought a new pilot bearing thinking that the old one was simply the wrong thing, but it is the exact same. It is a tight fit, but slides in and out easily. Shouldn't the bearing be a press fit?

Thanks for the help

#2 ·
Yes, it should be an interferance fit. I would measure the inside diameter of the crank flange....it may be oversized. And, you may have to have a custom bronze bushing machined to fit in that case. Bearings are superior (IMO) to bushings, that's why Pontiac used them in these cars. More expensive to produce, but better end product.

#5 ·
Thanks. I'll figure something out. I'm excited to see this trans go in, then I will really have something to contribute on the forum. I know guys on here complain about fitment with some of the Keisler packages, but the early mock-up with mine looks promising. I have the RS-600 based on the T-45. It doesn't look like any tunnel modification will be necessary.

#7 ·
Alky, I really appreciate the offer, but I ended up getting it figured out a different way. My local machine shop said that since there is no apparent play in the bearing, just put red loctite on it and call it a day. They highly recommended using the bearing.

I got the trans all bolted up. Ill let you know how it works. Keisler is making the driveshaft now.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.