Rubber or Poly?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rubber or Poly??

Doing a little suspension work while the front clip is in pieces, and see that the PO had installed poly control arm bushings at some point. I was debating whether to reinstall the poly bushings, or purchase new rubber bushings.

I have never had poly bushings in a street car, and am interested to hear thoughts from those that have compared new rubber to poly bushings.

Any noticable difference in ride quality? My goal is to minimize vibrations, and smooth the ride best I can. I currently have a large front sway bar and KB shocks, which can make bumps & potholes plenty noticable.

Experience tells me to go with the rubber bushings for the qualities I am looking for, but would be interested to hear other opinions...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
BTDT. The poly bushings are harsher than the rubber. They help stiffen up the suspension and car. They also last longer. I personally prefer the rubber bushings because I drive a lot. The only issue is that I seem to only get about 10 years out of a set of rubber upper A arm bushings. My '67 is getting due for its 3rd set since 1983. The exhaust heat kills them. The rubber body bushings, lower A arm bushings, and rear end bushings last for decades, though. Brand of choice? MOOG.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Depends on what you're after. For better, crisper handling - go with poly. For a softer feel, go with rubber.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Kind of what I figured... Since I want to make this a comfortable road car, it will be getting rubber!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 01:13 AM

Any recommendations on a brand for the poly? I'm looking to replace mine as well.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie.w View Post
Any recommendations on a brand for the poly? I'm looking to replace mine as well.
I've had mine "forever" - having purchased them many years ago when I first started working on the car, so I don't remember what brand they are or even if the company is still around. My recommendation would be to go with a quality brand that has a good 'name' in the suspension business. Price concerns should be secondary. Savitske Classic & Custom, Spohn, Hotchkis, Ride Tech, etc... come to mind (I didn't check to see which ones actually carry the bushings)

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Switched to rubber on mine and like the end result. I did not like feeling every crack and pothole in our torn up mn roads...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:00 PM

I set up my 65 with poly when I did the frame off, including the body mounts- it definitely is a harsher ride. I think if I did it over I would go with the best quality rubber I could find
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM

A little outside the box here... but since the uppers fail faster what about poly uppers and the rest rubber... would that have any negative effects?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-28-2013, 10:56 AM

I always use MOOG, no more miles than I put on annually they will be there when I'm long gone, they look original too.

Les Saville
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical and Electrical Wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.