Rubber or Poly?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Rubber or Poly??

Doing a little suspension work while the front clip is in pieces, and see that the PO had installed poly control arm bushings at some point. I was debating whether to reinstall the poly bushings, or purchase new rubber bushings.

I have never had poly bushings in a street car, and am interested to hear thoughts from those that have compared new rubber to poly bushings.

Any noticable difference in ride quality? My goal is to minimize vibrations, and smooth the ride best I can. I currently have a large front sway bar and KB shocks, which can make bumps & potholes plenty noticable.

Experience tells me to go with the rubber bushings for the qualities I am looking for, but would be interested to hear other opinions...

Thanks.
leeklm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
BTDT. The poly bushings are harsher than the rubber. They help stiffen up the suspension and car. They also last longer. I personally prefer the rubber bushings because I drive a lot. The only issue is that I seem to only get about 10 years out of a set of rubber upper A arm bushings. My '67 is getting due for its 3rd set since 1983. The exhaust heat kills them. The rubber body bushings, lower A arm bushings, and rear end bushings last for decades, though. Brand of choice? MOOG.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
Depends on what you're after. For better, crisper handling - go with poly. For a softer feel, go with rubber.

Bear
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Kind of what I figured... Since I want to make this a comfortable road car, it will be getting rubber!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Any recommendations on a brand for the poly? I'm looking to replace mine as well.
Eddie.w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie.w View Post
Any recommendations on a brand for the poly? I'm looking to replace mine as well.
I've had mine "forever" - having purchased them many years ago when I first started working on the car, so I don't remember what brand they are or even if the company is still around. My recommendation would be to go with a quality brand that has a good 'name' in the suspension business. Price concerns should be secondary. Savitske Classic & Custom, Spohn, Hotchkis, Ride Tech, etc... come to mind (I didn't check to see which ones actually carry the bushings)

Bear
Old 06-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Switched to rubber on mine and like the end result. I did not like feeling every crack and pothole in our torn up mn roads...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

I set up my 65 with poly when I did the frame off, including the body mounts- it definitely is a harsher ride. I think if I did it over I would go with the best quality rubber I could find
old-goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

A little outside the box here... but since the uppers fail faster what about poly uppers and the rest rubber... would that have any negative effects?
jessek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

I always use MOOG, no more miles than I put on annually they will be there when I'm long gone, they look original too.
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions