TH400 to 200R4 conversion Question - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpin455 View Post
But hey, what would I know?
Being a shop owner for more then 19 years, I'm in the same boat.

Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Burn-out videos.
Rukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Even if he's not running WOT down the track every weekend, you don't want the tranny to fry the first time you do go WOT and let it rip through the gears.
They used the 200r4 behind the 231 buick engines and they would take them out.

I'm going to hijack this thread, so I apologize in advance. I want to be able to cruise in the teens on the highway and I'm looking to swap out my 4-speed manual Muncie for a new transmission with overdrive (Richmond five-speed has been suggested). Currently running with a ten-bolt rear with 3:55:1 gears and a pretty stock 400 CID with 335 horse. Any other suggestions to achieve my goal? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Gear Vendors makes a bolt-on overdrive for the Munice. Also, ther's a company that makes gearsets for muncie trannies that gives them an overdrive. The shift pattern gets changed, and you still have only 4 gears, but one of them is OD. Both of these would require no floorpan butchering. I've had great results in 4 speed GTO's with a 3.23 gear. With the amount of torque a Pontiac makes, you won't notice the difference off the line from the 3:55's, but the freeway cruise is much better..about 3k at 73-74 mph. Doug Nash also had a 5 speed, but I think mods are needed to the pan, as well.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppurfield001 View Post
I'm going to hijack this thread, so I apologize in advance. I want to be able to cruise in the teens on the highway and I'm looking to swap out my 4-speed manual Muncie for a new transmission with overdrive (Richmond five-speed has been suggested). Currently running with a ten-bolt rear with 3:55:1 gears and a pretty stock 400 CID with 335 horse. Any other suggestions to achieve my goal? Thanks.
Paul, go toMedatronics Corporation's 5 Speed Home page!speak to Paul he has been building standard transmissions since we were kids. Yes over 30 years. tell him you are a friend of mine and you need a solid 5 speed for a GTO. He will steer you in the exact right direction and or supply what you need. He has also written and published a book. Tell him Eric Aull sent you....this goes for everyone else also...GOOD STUFF!!!
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
Paul, go toMedatronics Corporation's 5 Speed Home page!speak to Paul he has been building standard transmissions since we were kids. Yes over 30 years. tell him you are a friend of mine and you need a solid 5 speed for a GTO. He will steer you in the exact right direction and or supply what you need. He has also written and published a book. Tell him Eric Aull sent you....this goes for everyone else also...GOOD STUFF!!!

I will try calling him today. Thanks for the lead. What type of transmission are you installing in your new goat, which sounds unbelievable, by the way? Regards.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
67 Basket Case Restorer

My Photos: (27)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTCarGuy View Post
I am changing out my th400 in a 71 GTo for a built-up 200R4 so I have an overdrive for the Hot Rod Power Tour in June. I already have the transmission but there is a question on transmission yoke and drive shaft. The TH400 is 1" longer than the 200R4 and uses a 31 spline. I want to retain the original drive shaft and just replace the yoke (and u joints if needed)with a 27 spline yoke. The question is how long the shaft on the new yoke should be. I have not removed the original yoke to measure it yet. New yokes have a 3" or 6" shaft. I don't want to put in a too long or too short shaft! Can the shaft be cut and if so, what is the best method? Thanks.
If you are getting the trans from a reputable builder, don't they have a yoke to purchase with it for the conversion ? Maybe Thumpin' 455 can come up with a GM part number or specific application yoke that he has used in the past for you to get. If not, I would bolt the trans in place and measure from the center of the u-joint to center of the yoke travel in the trans. If you can't get the original driveshaft to work with those dim's, I would consider a new shaft and leave the original in the corner. The original shaft can be cut, shortened and rebalanced by a reputable shop with the proper equipment to do that, but it's never going back behind a TH 400 then....

I seriously considered a 200 for my 67 Camaro and wouldn't hesitate to use one that is built by a reputable aftermarket builder to handle 400 lbs. ft. of torque, but again, it HAS to be a high quality build to last. I'm a clutch in a muscle car guy and will, instead, convert my PG to a manual in time. For you, the overdrive will be sweet in a street cruiser on the highway...

Uh, Eric.......what happened to the manual trans idea ??? If you put a slushbox in that car, I'm gonna sneak up there and swap in a 6 speed myself. That combination just SCREAMS for a 6 speed and 3.90's......
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Corvair Corsa convert
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
Too Many Projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppurfield001 View Post
I will try calling him today. Thanks for the lead. What type of transmission are you installing in your new goat, which sounds unbelievable, by the way? Regards.
I am going to use a 4 speed automatic....probably a L480e the electronic stuff scares me. I've been told that you can really tune the shift points, and firmness of shifts very easily. I think it is basically the same tranny that is in a Chevy Tahoe or Silverado 1500. Gotta look into it further. "All those little chunks of aluminum and pretty gears, springs,balls and servos sprayed on the pavement" sounds like an expensive improper choice to me....gotta get it right. Eric
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I put a Tremac TKO 5 behind my 455 in the 65. Got it from Keisler Engineering. Fit pretty good with the stock floor. Just had to open up the floor a little in the front ( a 1" x 4" strip) and a 2" x 2" area on the pass side back. I just modified the porch for a slick fit. Cross member moved back to where the front holes in the bracket located into the back holes in the frame and drilled new back holes. Shifter locates correctly into the console. Done.
Haven't driven it yet as not done, but a friend has one in his 67 Chevelle, and and he swears by it, that it has changed his ride for the better by leaps and bounds, what ever a leap or a bound is!

If you need, I can try and take some pictures if you want

rich
injn37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by injn37 View Post
I put a Tremac TKO 5 behind my 455 in the 65. Got it from Keisler Engineering. Fit pretty good with the stock floor. Just had to open up the floor a little in the front ( a 1" x 4" strip) and a 2" x 2" area on the pass side back. I just modified the porch for a slick fit. Cross member moved back to where the front holes in the bracket located into the back holes in the frame and drilled new back holes. Shifter locates correctly into the console. Done.
Haven't driven it yet as not done, but a friend has one in his 67 Chevelle, and and he swears by it, that it has changed his ride for the better by leaps and bounds, what ever a leap or a bound is!

If you need, I can try and take some pictures if you want

rich
I'd love to see some pictures, and to have a 5 speed in mine!

Were you able to keep the HURST shifter?

Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Burn-out videos.
Rukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #20 (permalink)
67 Basket Case Restorer

My Photos: (27)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Were you able to keep the HURST shifter?
Hurst makes shifters for them but, obviously, the 4 speed shifter won't convert to a 5 speed...
RICHMOND 5-SPEED SHIFTER
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Corvair Corsa convert
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
Too Many Projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Technical Discussions