car shows... - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
car shows...

hey, during the season i ocasionally go to car shows in my area. very rarely do i enter my car in the show. i like driving my car, not standing around in the hot sun trying to keep spectators and little kids with sticky cotton candy hands from touching it. its an all day thing. i do however like admireing cars, thats why i go. naturally i always beeline it to the gto section. sometimes ill see a nice car and get a chance to talk with the owner only to find they no almost nothing about the car. just what they paid for it or how much they want to sell it for. im puzzled by this. i crave information , history, and knowledge of my car. i consider it a big part of the hobby. and i can tell you guys do too. i commend you all. rickm.
rickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
I may not end up touching every bolt on mine but it will be close when I'm done. I guess you just need to look at the positive in it all. The cars like that are kept for the next person to use it as a car again.

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
facn8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (16)
I do some shows and do enter my car, only cause the money goes to charity. I never expect to win anything though. It all depends on what the judges like, some shows almost all are fords that win, others chevys, etc. Met a guy at one show was parked next to me that had the most excellent attitude. He had a PERFECT `65 Vette convertible, and I mean it was perfect. Come 3:00 and over the loud speaker they announce it's time to hand out the trophies, and he starts to pack up. I asked aren't you going over to get yours?? He looked right at me and says "I don't let these people judge my car". I was like...yo dude, that's so cool!!

Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Burn-out videos.
Rukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Anyone know where to find car show links for the state of Oregon???
Thanks
tyrefryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
I've been doing some shows with the Beast, but I do enjoy driving it more than just sitting with it, most of the time. I too find it disappointing to encounter people who know nothing about their cars except for what they spent buying it, or paying someone to work on it. People who know them top to bottom, front to rear, inside and out because they did all the work with their own hands are the folks who get my respect.

Here's a site I use to find local shows and hang outs...
HotRodHappenings.com

Bear
Old 03-13-2012, 03:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I do the local small shows mostly for charity, Do not ever expect to win anything especially since i did everything myself in the garage, but it does not look out of place next to all those bought cars. Really hard to pic a class at the shows too, its somewhere between stock and street rod.

I do like the cruises though, here in Detroit now we have a major cruise at least once a month during the season...Woodward Dream Cruise, Gratiot Cruise, Downriver Cruise etc...the cities here have finally realized that where there are people there is revenue and have opened up the streets to the hotrods (and their cashflow), i mean there are people literally wetting the pavement for smokey burnouts with cops 20 yds away . The police watch over it and do not let it get out of hand....then they roll up the sidewalks around 11 and everyone makes a few more passes and head home.
Instg8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge