Street Outlaws TV show - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
Street Outlaws TV show

Anybody else watching this?

I used to do a lot of street racing but nothing as fast as some of the top guys on this list. I think I would have it all over the "farm truck" and maybe a couple of the lower tier guys but the top 5 spots seem like real heavy hitters in the low nines to eight second range.

I enjoy watching and know a lot of it is staged but got me to thinking, what is street racing like in your neck of the woods?

I just don't do it anymore due to a major catastrophe that occurred last time I did organized street racing. As I don't have a quick DD anymore I won't punch off with anybody unless it would be at the track.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
yeah i am hooked, record it every Monday. Love the Monte and Novas make fast drag cars. Big Cheif has a 72 LeMans that he held number one with that he is supposed to start racing again next season. Theres a youtube of the farmtruck getting the wheels off the ground.

LMAO

Instg8ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Garage
I've heard of it. I'm just not sure what channel it is on! (Well, I'm just too lazy to search it up.) I live roughly an hour and thirty minutes south of OKC.
06_CGM_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
We record it and have seen all of them. Sad to hear about Flip. He seemed happy but you never know.
skurfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Moderator

My very first vehicle was just like that farm truck. Same color and had a topper too. Couldn't pull wheelies tho..... So, Flip did himself in?

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
68greengoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
I've seen every one. Guilty pleasure. I don't approve of what they're doing, and it seems that they are more concerned with not getting in trouble for hurting/killing someone than actually hurting/killing someone. With the exception of Farm Truck, all the cars are true race cars, and not street cars. I am impressed with the level of expertise these guys have with the laptop programming and the tuning of these cars, though. The all-black clothing and the good-ol-boy/tough guy posturing gets old, though. My favorite character is Flip, who committed suicide last may for unknown reasons. He was 31 years old.
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Ya, love the outrageousness of the "farm truck" as a sleeper and Flip was one of my favorites too. I gotta root for the "little guy" like him building a fast street car on a budget and running against guys with more money and horse power.

As far as farm truck goes, love the dog (had a couple of "healers" myself over the years, they are great dogs) running shotgun but not sure where Asian fits into the equation. All he does is talk smack and he cant even change plugs in that truck.
ALKYGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

I like watching the show, but it gets too many of the young guys out there thinking this is cool and someone ends getting killed or injured. Most of the street racing incidents I have read about in my area have involved the import crowd.
Seems to me the OKC boys have enough brains to rent a track and charge admission for their races and would probably make some decent money in the process.

67 Post Coupe,
69 RA III Judge
06 BOM, M6, 18's
SANDU002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
I like the show too, although since it has become a "reality" show I do have to question how much "reality" there is to it. Seems to me like moving all the extra crap it takes to film/video the action to a location and set it all up (and tear it all down) would be somewhat determinental to the guerilla tactics needed to stage a race quickly and escape before encountering the authorities.

I find it much easier to believe that the production company, the racers, and law enforcement have managed to arrive at some sort of tacit agreement that allows things to continue in a more or less safe fashion.

Bear
Old 08-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

I agree there would be HUGE liability issues, as well as criminal if the producers were deemed complicit with the races and death or injury was caused. I am sure they have to carry insurance of multiple types in production and no underwriter would sign up to insure an illegal activity. Actually "the First 48" and a police officer are in court right now in Detroit over the shooting of a child in a raid that was filmed for the show.
Instg8ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > Off Topic Discussions > The Lounge