1964 Pontiac Tempest Frame-Off Restoration - Page 17 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #161 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I started the quarter panel process by trimming the excess off of the new panel. I used the new panel then to mark the cut line on the existing quarter panel. I'm glad I did because when I cut the existing quarter panel the crown of the body line sank a 1/2" in center near the roof post. Looking down the crown of the quarter panel it no longer arched but actually looked flat, I used the pre-cut quarter panel to re-arch it. I had to pull the crown of the existing quarter up to the butt welded joint in the new quarter panel.

Butt welded joint:

Then I did the otherside:

Currently I'm finish welding a few things and making dust. I'm glad to get a post out again. Sorry for delays... I'm pushing hard to get to paint. I'll keep posting and try to get into the routine again...

-Thor
Thor7352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #162 (permalink)
67 Basket Case Restorer

My Photos: (27)
Garage
WOW...I'd say all the pics make up for the delay. NICE work !!!! It all looks VERY familiar... Isn't that cowl/rocker/floor area a treat ? I obtained donor pieces for both sides of mine. I haven't gotten around to installing my trunk floor. The only difference is I have a Pontiac specific floor to avoid cutting but I have to replace the tail panel at the same time. You're very brave to cut into the quarter like that and especially to make it fit that well as a butt seam.
I started doing restoration work as a job this winter and have rebuilt nearly the entire back half of a '66 Mustang. It's nice to make a little income doing this but I don't have time for my own cars now...

I'd guess you will be ready for paint this summer at the rate you are going.
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1970 Chevelle SS 396
1966 Corvair Corsa convert
1965 Corvair Monza convert
1969 GMC K1500
1952 Chev 2 ton flat bed
1938 Chev coupe
Too Many Projects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #163 (permalink)

Too Many Projects,

Thanks for the compliments. I've never done any body work like this before but I have done quite a bit of fabrication work. I really want the replaced quarters to be hidden, so I'll be filling the inside of the quarters too and a butt weld is the way to do it. I wanted a Pontiac specific floor but they don't make one for '64.

I don't mind doing this as a hobby, but you're brave to take it on as a job. Someday's I wouldn't have the patience under the pressure of a customer wanting it done quickly and under a budget.

I'm hoping to be to paint in May.

-Thor
Old 03-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #164 (permalink)

Looks good keep up thegood work.
The Rest Of the Toys
71 Cutlass Supreme Drag Car, 72 Vista Cruiser, 08 Mustang GT (The Wifes)
And a Few Powerstrokes To Pull Them
JJ
twinjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:44 PM   #165 (permalink)

Motivated Progress

Hey All!

Progress is happening! Slow but happening. The Hot Rod Power Tour starts a couple hours from here and is heading with a few miles of the house on day three so I have been preparing the '65 GTO to make it to at the first three to four stops. I'm done with the prep workon the '65 and have been back on the Tempest. I needed to see how it fit for fun so I threw some fenders and a spare hood on it:

It is coming along. I've been working on the detail welding and pieces needed to finish out the metal work. I've also been doing some body work, going back and forth as I get sick of one or the other...

-Thor
Old 05-15-2012, 12:29 AM   #166 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Josh.AZ.GTO
Looking great Thor.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:48 PM   #167 (permalink)

Great job! Any updates?
ChiefPontiac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #168 (permalink)

Update: welding 100%

Hey All,

I've been cranking through the project and continually making progress. Not a whole lot of pictures to take showing new things. I have finished all of the welding and have moved on to smoothing of the quarter panels. As expected they picked up a wave following welding and I have been massaging that back out. The tail section is finished. I go out and work on it about 3-4 nights a week and then on Saturdays. It been really hot here lately so that slowed progress the last week or so. Real soon I will be ready for another coat of primer over the whole thing and then black on the firewall and body. Once that is complete I'll roll right into hi-build primer. Shooting to have everything ready for paint in September with a completion date before the Hot Rod Power Tour 2013...

-Thor
Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #169 (permalink)

Pictures

Hey,

Finally took some pictures and uploaded them. I'm done welding and making a ton of dust. The paint booth looks more neon green than white.

Block sanding and filling of both quarters:

Seam Sealed the firewall and other places:

Got the inner fender to quarter filler pieces made and in:

Finished converting the Buick floor that Goodmark sells to a Pontiac, This area was all rusted...

And a shot of the inner rocker, floor bracing and floor, everything in this picture is new steel.

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for looking.

-Thor
Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #170 (permalink)

Making It Flat

More Progress:

A while back I started smoothing out the new quarters with rage gold lightweight filler and it ended up looking like this:

It still had a little wave to it over the length of the quarter and I was using too short of a block. So I skimmed over it with an evercoat easy sand polyester to level and smooth it and I bought a 30" Durablock sanding block from Eastwoods...

Smoothing it down went extremely well, there is a very thin and in most places near-clear layer of easy sand that filled in any sanding scratches and overall is leaving a nice flat and smooth quarter.

That's all for now, wish I could have gotten a better pic of the quarter with it being flat, I'll try during wet sanding. I'm moving on to high fill primer next.

Also, progress will pause for this weekend while Chief and I venture to Ohio to partake in the Tri-Power Nationals.... Any one going? I have a list of parts I need from AMES/swap meet.

-Thor

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions