66 GTO resto BODY BOLT HELP - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
66 GTO resto BODY BOLT HELP

Hey guys, im new here, 16 doing a frame up on my dads 66 rag top. my idea to do all the work if he supplies the money. right now we are both stuck on the body bolts. we got under the frame and looked for the bolts and i found 10 bolts that seem to be the body bolts from the firewall back. is this right? does anyone have any exact locations on where they are located? does anyone have any tips on how to get them out? my dad got the bolts from the rear axle back out, had to cut the trunk bed for the last two. any advice is great! thanks all
Vinny Russo
vrusso1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome and congrats on starting the resto. The body bolts should be easy to find as they will all have a bushing to isolate and cushion the body on the frame. As far as getting them loose, first soak them in a quality penetrating oil such as PB Blaster, or similar. Let them sit over night and you'll be surprised how well it works.

Good luck and have fun!

Chuck
Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks chuck, after i posted this i went to work on it and got two more out, i have 4 left the ones located at the firewall and in the door ways. im stuck on the door way bolts because the nut around it is not like the others, infact there is no nut, it is just a metal plate around the bolt. i spent around an hour and a half cutting at it and nothing, havent seen the other side to see if maybe it is just something that the previous owner put in place or a fluke. who knows, im just going to drill the bolt out and probably cut the pan out as i planned. after the body bolts is there anything else holding the body to the frame or anything i need to disconnect? im going to post pictures later tonight! thanks
i know i ask a lot of questions but im new to this bear with me
thanks
Vinny
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
The nut by the FRONT of the door is a "cage nut" be careful with that one. It "floats in a cage so it gives some adjustment to the body, at the firewall area. If you look carefully at these pics, you will see the locations of the body bolts/bushings....they are along the 2 chassis rails....the rest of the chassis will be different than yours, but the body mounts are in the same position........... Eric
Attached Thumbnails
66 GTO resto  BODY BOLT HELP-aac-002.jpg   66 GTO resto  BODY BOLT HELP-frontrightsusp-015.jpg   66 GTO resto  BODY BOLT HELP-bodymockup-002.jpg   66 GTO resto  BODY BOLT HELP-paint-009.jpg   66 GTO resto  BODY BOLT HELP-srgchassis-001.jpg  

Last edited by Eric Animal; 11-13-2012 at 09:00 AM. Reason: forgot stuff
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Animal View Post
The nut by the FRONT of the door is a "cage nut" be careful with that one. It "floats in a cage so it gives some adjustment to the body, at the firewall area. If you look carefully at these pics, you will see the locations of the body bolts/bushings....they are along the 2 chassis rails....the rest of the chassis will be different than yours, but the body mounts are in the same position........... Eric
thank you eric. i got them all out not too long ago, if you check my other post on the forum it is my step by step log of everything i have done. currently im working on the frame. i like the way your frame looks, the tubular control arms and rack and pinion make it look good! hopefully my frame will be there one day!
thanks Vinny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions