User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
'67 GTO Convertible - Restoration Questions

GTO Forum Readers,
I recently purchased a '67 GTO convertible with 83K miles on it. It's drivable but will need a total restoration to bring it up to a quality muscle car. I have a '66 Tempest Custom convertible that is very nice along with a couple of nice Mustangs so I wasn't really looking for another car but... a friend of mine passed away leaving behind a large, GM car collection with just the one GTO. I bought it with the intent of restoring it as a memorial to my friend. Having the car for a couple of weeks now I'm learning a little bit more about the car. According to the VIN, I know it's a true '67 GTO, red with a red interior and white top. It has a 4sp, 400cu with a 4bbl Edlebrock carberator. The engine code is 'YF' which I've learned is an automatic xmission engine code. So, I know it's not a GTO engine and obviously not a numbers matching car. The car has headers instead of factory exhaust manifolds which leads me to believe there were clearance issues in using the 'YF' engine on a car with 4sp manual transmission. I drove it from north side of Indy to the east side. I thought it drove and shifted fine. Another mutual friend said that's probably the furthest it's been driven in 10 years. Now I'm trying to decide on how to restore it. First thing I've done was send the VIN into PHS to see what the car was originally equipped with. I'm somewhat spoiled in the fact that I'm second owner of Tempest and my '72 351 RA Mustang convertible. I even have the original sales receipt for the Tempest. With this GTO, I don't know the history. I'm learning real fast that GTO motors don't grow on trees. Besides having a good 'YF' motor for trading material, I was also given an original 1966 tri-power intake with 3 Rochester 2bbl carbs with the car. So I do have some swap items. If no '67 GTO motors are to be found, do I try to make the best of it with the 'YF' motor or, do I sell it and buy a Pontiac crate motor. What do you guys think? -TempestTamer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your friend's passing. Sounds like a nice car with plenty of potential. I'll try and help out with your questions if I can...

How were you able to determine that you have a 400 cubic inch engine? Did you find 400 cast into the side of the block anywhere? For the most part, all Pontiac V8 engines built during the GTO years are virtually identical in size and appearance so the most practical way to identify the year/size/application is by the various casting codes and stampings that can be found on the block.

If you see 400 cast in the block then it most likely came from a 1973 or 1974 model vehicle.....or could possibly be a very late 69 model (but less likely).

The YF application code was used in 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 73 and 74 according to the charts. yes, all are for automatic transmission applications.
65 and 66 would be 389 blocks. 67 and later would be 400 cubic inch.
65 and 66 would have 2 freeze plugs per side. 67 and later would have 3.
The block cast code would be found near the distributor on 65, 66 and 67 blocks but the first part would be hard to see. The full number is 7 digits but if you can see the last 5 then we can figure out what block you have.
68 and later blocks will have the casting number on the RH side of the block, at the rear, just below the cylinder head.
69 and later blocks originally came with 11 bolt water pumps vs the 8 bolt of the 68 and earlier models so that can be a clue as well....

Since these blocks all have the same external dimensions....there shouldn't be any issue using factory style exhaust manifolds so headers were likely added just because the owner wanted them on the car.

Sounds like you ordered the PHS documents so that is a great start. If you can, try and see if you can make out the block casting number and cast date if possible. Look by the distributor base first. The cast date will be there and also the block cast number if the block is 67 or earlier. If you can't find the block casting number, then try and count how many freeze plugs you have on the side of the block and count the bolts on the water pump then report back.

Good luck.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Richard and I had worked together for 20 years. He was the Safety Director at Indianapolis Public Schools. I work for an Engineering firm that produced bid documents for their electrical and mechanical systems. He'd only been retired for a couple of years.
Thank you for the engine block information. This is most helpful. I will check for numbers, bolt patterns and freeze plug counts. Will get back to you on Saturday. Hopefully my PHS report will be here by then too.
Best Regards.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for information on 67 GTO cruise control. After market wiring harness's, steering column lever, etc.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Shake-N-Bake,
I've been able to confirm that the engine block has (3) freeze plugs and the water pump has 8 bolts. I received my packet of information from PHS on Thursday but was really confused. Build sheet said it was equipped with Turbo-Hydramatic xmission and, that the interior and exterior are blue. In taking a closer look at the VIN number on the packet they sent me, I realized they had transposed a couple of numbers and what was sent was not for my car. I called. PHS apologized for the mistake and said they'd send out the correct information. Looking forward to receiving the correct info.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Hope the GTO convert comes back with a WS in the engine code box of the billing tag. Even a WT or WW in that box would be very positive news.

If the '67 convert was built out of B, G, P assembly plants, feel free & post the letters & numbers on the trim tag.

Nearly 30 years ago, Pete McCarthy followed the lead of an early Nova researcher, & by systematic analysis, published his findings as to what the leters following the group numbers meant on the bottom lines of the trim tag. Several other researchers contributed in the early 90's to further decoding the even more obscure accessory codes. These specific options required a special step in the Fisher Body plant & that's why they are listed on the trim tag. Have a huge stack of trim tag info from '67 Kansas City Pontiac Abodys that I recorded during that time. '67's were everywhere in northern & western TX, OK, KS during that time. 67's were also the most popular year registered for many years by members of GTOAA. Not sure if that is still the case, it seems more '66's have been "coming out of the woodwork" the last few years. Best to you, I've been on pins & needles before waiting on invoice copies from PHS.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempestTamer View Post
Shake-N-Bake,
I've been able to confirm that the engine block has (3) freeze plugs and the water pump has 8 bolts. I received my packet of information from PHS on Thursday but was really confused. Build sheet said it was equipped with Turbo-Hydramatic xmission and, that the interior and exterior are blue. In taking a closer look at the VIN number on the packet they sent me, I realized they had transposed a couple of numbers and what was sent was not for my car. I called. PHS apologized for the mistake and said they'd send out the correct information. Looking forward to receiving the correct info.
Does your balancer look like this or is yours much thicker?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170318_143250473.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	88425

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Shake-N-Bake,
Harmonic balancer appears to be wider that the one in your attachment. The pulley mounting seems different from the motor on your engine stand vs. the motor in my car. Attached is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7015.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	88433  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
the '67 & earlier dampers (balancers) are a multi-piece affair using a flange that slides on the keyway of the crank, then a hub along with a thick cord type band, a thin rubber band type insualtor, & the pulley or stack of pulleys that sandwiches all together. There will be 6 small bolts holding everything together. '67 Pontiac V8 pulleys (except the manual strg wp pulley) all use a wider & deeper groove design than '64-66 style pulleys.

On your 3 freeze plug YF coded engine block, a quick easy way to narrow it down without manipulating to get to clean the casting date back by he distributor, is to look at the 6 or 7 digit number above the stamped two letter engine ID code. If this number has a ( in front of 6 numbers, it's a '71-74 model usage block. Hope his helps.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I don't recall seeing that symbol. But then again, I wasn't really looking for it either. I'll clean up that area again and check it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.