Thought you might enjoy a little project update...
I bought this car in March, 2012. It's a Fremont-built GTO that has apparently spent its life (til 2011) in California and Nevada.
I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of pictures, but did not go to Nevada to look at the car. Here are a few of the seller's pics:
I knew it needed trunk floors and lower LH quarter repairs, as well as a patch in the left fender.
According to the seller, he bought the car (as a roller) in the mid-90s and started building it. He had installed a 1969 "big car" 428 and a TH400 with either a 2.93 or 3.08 posi. It was originally a non-hideaway car, but the seller had installed hideaways. They were not working and the vacuum hoses and switch were missing.
It ran, but the brakes were not working well.
Here is what it looked like when it arrived in Michigan in early April:
The black paint was mostly rattle-can touch ups to cover bare metal.
After spending some time checking it out, I decided to get it roadworthy and drive it as much as possible over the summer (2012), then get it ready for a winter paint job. My target was to have it on the road for the Woodward Dream Cruise in August.
After going through the fuel system and the brakes, I started cutting out the trunk floor and found that the left quarter was worse then I anticipated. Typical...rust is like an iceberg; what you see is about 10% of what's really there!
Surprisingly, the trunk braces and fuel tank supports were in great shape.
Continued in next post (could only include 10 images per post)...