Anyone using a pre-formatted resto log or journal - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Question Anyone using a pre-formatted resto log or journal

Are any of you guys using a electronic log/journal/diary to keep data on your restorations. If so what are you using and how do you like it.

I know there are several available for download at a cost but I figure some of the guys here have "been there/done that" and would be able to offer their insights before any cost is incurred.

If you set up a spreadsheet or database of your own then by all means chime in and let me know what you are doing.

Thanks

1965 Tempest 215 2 dr cpe soon to be 428 5spd
1969 Firebird 350 cpe

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Jimmy The Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
I have about 400 pics on a Sandisk and a loose-leaf binder full of receipts (which I am afraid to look in)!.............
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Eric- That seems to the way I am going also. But yesterday I was looking for a receipt and damned if I could find it. And I can see the potential for more of this happening. What I really need is a secretary for my hobby.

1965 Tempest 215 2 dr cpe soon to be 428 5spd
1969 Firebird 350 cpe

That's my story and I am sticking to it!
Jimmy The Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
Jimmy, This is how I do it....when I get the part, I imediately throw the receipt, and "instructions into a draw in my work bench......then when I have the time, I take a bunch of them out, punch holes and put them in the binder. Otherwise I loose them....As far as a secretary goes, just don't give the job to your wife!!!
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Jimmy,
I'm a little old school, and technologically behind...
I just have a manilla folder that I put all the receipts into,
and keep it in my filing cabinet.
It keeps getting thicker and thicker though.....
389tripower65GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
I use a combination of things...

For paper receipts, I've got a manilla folder I just stuff them into. I haven't organized them or anything yet. At some point I might scan them and do that, or I might not...

For things that I order online, I've got a separate email folder that I move all the order confirmations, email receipts, etc. into.

We use Quicken for managing all our household finances, so whenever I record something in Quicken I put a "tag" on the transaction that says "GTO" so I can pull everything together into one report if I want to. I just went into Quicken and did that - had it total everything that was tagged. Whoa! I knew it was a big number, but it was a little sobering to see it in black and white.

I've got a separate folder for other documents, like installation instructions, specs, and etc. that I want to keep but that don't have anything to do with a financial record.

For a project record, I use a free photo web-page builder doo-dad called PhotoOnWeb. I got it here: Online Photo Sharing, Picture Sharing, Share Photos, Photo Share It's pretty easy to use. It comes with some basic web-page templates that you can customize and save as a photoonweb "project document" and then publish out to a web server. Updating it is easy... you just open the project document, drag new photos into it, add captions, then re-publish out to the server.
My site is here:
My 1969 Pontiac GTO Restoration Project - Personalized photo album in html with PhotoOnWeb by VSO

Bear
Old 02-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Call me old fashioned but I keep a work journal in an old steno pad (anyone remember them?). This is where I draw sketches of things I need to remember during re-assembly, record part numbers etc. as well as my daily work completed. I also keep a spreadsheet of all purchases and place paper receipts in a file folder. Of course I also have hundreds of photos taken during dis-assembly which are kept electronically plus a few that I have printed out to show folks where I have been with my car to date.

Phil
1964 Tempest Custom Sport Coupe, very rusty and very dis-assembled.
64phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)
If it has a warrenty I keep the receipt. At no point do I EVER want to know how much I have actually spent. That's called evidence and may help her prove why she killed me.

1966 Pontiac Lemans Convertible
389 tri power
facn8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (16)

Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Burn-out videos.
Rukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

...got that right Facn8, i have a bankers box and photobucket for the picks, tabbed it up at one time and after i got up off the floor destroyed all evidence.
Instg8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions