Body work/paint reference in MA area - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Body work/paint reference in MA area

Guys,
I'm hoping someone that is somewhat local to me might have a reference
for a body man, and/or painter. It's a 65 GTO that is completely off the frame,
and I've stripped all the paint.
I'm looking for someone that could show me work he's done, and comes with good references.
I live in N. Central MA, but am willing to travel with the body a good distance if it was worth it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Paul
SlamminGears65Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
Would you consider doing it yourself?

Bear
Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bear,
I would consider doing it myself. I've seen some links you've posted, and thought about it. I know you did all yours. I have never done any car painting before, but the funny thing is, I have a friend who has retired from that game who would let me use all
of his paint sprayers. I'm just not sure I want to take my maiden voyage on my pride and joy. However, I would certainly listen to your opinion. I'm all ears, Bear!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
I can sure relate to the hesitation about doing your first paint job on your "pride and joy". That was exactly the way I felt about mine.
Then when I went to a local resto shop to get a quote on a show-quality paint job, I got a shock ($18,000) --- it became really obvious that the only way this car was ever going to get done would be for me to do it myself, because there was no way I could afford that, and I didn't want to settle for a "regular" body shop paint job.
So, I took a deep breath, bought all Kevin Tetz's "Paintucation" videos, got on his forum and started pestering people with dumb questions, and dove in.
Yes, it was a ton of work and probably hundreds of hours - but I learned that the key to getting a pretty paint job lies mostly in your willingness to put in the time and effort, and the discpline to be willing to "go backwards" when you make a mistake and redo it.

I know my paint job isn't "perfect' - because I'm so intimate with every inch of it that I know where every single tiny flaw is - but when I take it to shows people seem to always comment on how good the paint is.

If you're willing to put in the time and effort, be patient with yourself, and invest in quality tools and supplies - I've got every confidence you can do a job you'll be proud of.

It still isn't cheap. I spent probably $2000 or so on a new compressor, air system, and guns - probably another $2000 or so just on the sprayable materials I shot through them. That doesn't include all the consumables like sand paper, filler, primer/surfacer, various tools (like sanding blocks) and such --- but even with all that I wound up with a paint job that's better than you'd get in any regular body shop for a fraction of what it would have cost at a resto shop, and I can say "I done it myself".

Bear
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Bear,
You make a strong case for taking this on myself.
I have to weigh the cost of my time, vs. the cost of someone else doing it.
That's what it comes down to for me. I'm not trying to make her a trailer queen, so I don't have that pressure.
I am also confident that with enough time spent, I could do a good enough job.
Right now, I've taken some pics and emailed them to a local body shop.
I'll see what they come up with for a price.
I might end up doing the prep work, and letting them squirt it, if I can work that out with them. I don't know yet. I'm in a Pontiac car club, so some of those guys have references as well. I'm going to get a number of quotes, so I can get a better feel for the time vs $ equation.
In the meantime, I'm going to look at that link to the "Paintucation" you've posted, to educate myself so I can have a better educated conversation with the body shop owners.
I'd love to be able to say I did it myself, I have to figure out if it's possible,
logistically, and time-wise.
Your input and experience is greatly appreciated, I've seen you give lots of great advice to many forum "attendees".
I hope my Goat looks as good as yours when it's done.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.
I'll keep you and everyone posted as I move along. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I progress!
Paul
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Another thing I'll add: I had a co-worker years back who was a line mechanic like myself, but who had a real talent for body work. He got all of the equipment, and painted his old Caddy ragtop. It came out pretty good, but not great. Next, he painted his girlfreind's Honda. Came out better still. Then, he painted his '68 Camaro. Came out as good as factory. Then he helped me with my '67 GTO. Came out even better, except for a section that I forgot to clean that resulted in dust in the paint. My point is, he really came into his own after the 3rd paint job. You get better with each one. So, It doesn't have to be a "one and done" thing. I'm sure Mr. Bear would become highly polished after 3-5 more. The problem is, time and physical effort. This is a labor intensive game, for sure. Good luck, whatever you do. Though FAR from perfect and riddled with flaws, I still have people ask "who painted your car?"....and it was done in 1993--20 years ago now. Home painting can pay off.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions