First Restoration: 1970 GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
First Restoration: 1970 GTO

So my dad surprised the heck out of me in August 2011 when he gave me a blue 70 GTO he bought from some friends of ours. After I had recovered from my heart attack he handed me the keys and she's been my daily driver ever since (except in the winter, too much salt). Late last summer I did my first head swap and changed out the 6x heads with much more powerful and date correct #13 heads. When I parked it for the winter I decided I would make my first attempt at a mild restoration. The car was in good enough shape that a frame off wasn't warranted, plus I'm a broke college student and that just wasn't in the cards. So I've been stripping and sanding and welding almost every weekend and after class since January, in a frantic and desperate attempt to have it finished before I graduate this May. Despite a few setbacks I have managed to get the fenders, hood, front valence, and trunk lid stripped to bare metal, wire wheeled the floorpan down and welded in a small patch panel, and I am currently in the process of stripping the endura bumper. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I will have the bumper sanded down and have a coat of 3m flexible parts epoxy applied and sanded. After that I will strip the doors, roof, and quarter panels. Hopefully by then it will be warm enough to shoot everything in a coat of epoxy and start bodywork. My plan is to do all the prep work myself and have a professional shoot the base and clear coat. It would be neat to paint my own car, but it would cost more and look crappier if I did it myself. The real art is in the prep work anyways. I'm not sure if I can get everything done by May, but I intend on trying my best. Luckily I have two mentors who rebuild GTOs and occasionally hot rods for a living (they are who my dad got the car from). I'll keep updating this thread every once in a while. As soon as I figure out how to post photos using my phone I will post some showing my current progress.
Orion88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 08:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here's my photobucket page if what she looked like before I tore into her.

Mobile Photobucket
Old 02-22-2013, 09:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
Congrats, nice dad. Good luck on the build! Welcome to the herd.
jetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum, nice to see another youngster with a classic. Looks like you have a nice foundation to start, you would be surprised at what you can do yourself to save some money (did mine all myself including paint). Sounds like you have a good plan. Your correct the key is in the prep, the best paint job won't hide a wavy panel. Most of the man hours for good paint are spent in block sanding and smoothing the surface, thats why good body and paint costs so much. In reality you are paying them to CARE about your car, the more you pay the more they will care. You sound detail oriented so i am sure you will do fine, but don't be afraid of squirting it yourself if budget requires. I rented a booth at the local HS for 200.00, primer, paint, and materials ran around 1300 with 4 coats of premium clear. Check out BEAR and FLAMBEAU's cars they were also built and finished in-house.
Instg8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I uploaded more photos on my photobucket of my progress so far.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
Cool! And congratulations. Don't be afraid to tackle the paint yourself. I did mine, in my garage, and it was the first paint job I ever attempted. I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out...

The magic in getting a nice finish is something like 70% in the prep and then 20% or so in the color sanding and buffing you do after spraying it. A very small part of the results is owing to the actual spraying. If I can get results like this in my garage with no spray booth, my first time on a black car, then I'm willing to bet that you can also get results you'd be proud of.
Two resources you need:
The complete set of videos from Kevin Tetz at [url=http://www.paintucation.com]Paintucation.com{/url}
Kevin's web forum that is devoted to paint & body topics.

Bear
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

The main thing about shooting the car myself is the cost. I would have to get a good spray gun, and all the paint, and a buffer and attachments and buffing formulas etc. Somewhere like maaco can do a paint job cheaper than I can, and they shoot 50+ cars a week so as long as the prep work is good they will do a better job shooting it than I could, for less money.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a few long term plans for the car for after I finish grad school... Basically I will probly end up spending half of my first years salary on car parts. Haha. First I plan on replacing all of the suspension components with the Hotchkiss kit. It would be awesome to have a 43 year old car take corners like no ones business. Next I want to swap out the th400 for something with overdrive. As much as I drive the car it would do me a lot of good. After that I'll pull the engine and install a butler performance 461 striker kit, maybe even butler heads. As long as I can get 500hp and 550+fpt, I'll be happy. Has anyone done any of these modifications before? I know this is 3+ years down the road before I get to this but I'm just curious.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

So this weekend I managed to get a lot of little teadious stuff done. I finished sanding all the small areas inside the headlight and grill areas on the endura bumper, and used a dremel tool with sanding bits to sand all the areas on my front valence I couldn't do with the da. Didn't get everything but close. I also dropped and disassembled my rear bumper and thoroughly inspected my trunk. There's a lot of surface rust, but I only have a few small holes after hitting it with a wire wheel. However, there are a lot of tight little nooks and crannies in the trunk area. How do you go about getting everything cleaned up for epoxy and spatter paint? I've kicked around soda or media blasting, but I don't wanna pay someone else to do it, and I don't want to get sand or soda everywhere. What are your guys's suggestions regarding this??

Old 02-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

wire wheel it, use POR15 over the rust scale, spread filler on it and sand before primer and splatter paint (will hide alot of imperfections)
Instg8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions