Presenting my new 1968 GTO convertible - Page 4 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #31 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
Yessir. If you already know which shop is going to paint it, and if you're going to want the media blaster to put it in some kind of primer for you (or if you're going to do that yourself) then you should definitely check with the shop to make sure that whatever you put on the bare metal is going to be compatible with what your body shop is going to use.

No reason to be scared of sanding. It's just long hours

Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #32 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
If you already have your body shop picked, call or stop by, sit down and talk with a tech experienced in baking soda. Put together a plan of attack from the get go before you touch the paint. have everything ready for clean prep and prime well in advance. If your body shop is not well versed in soda find one that is, at least for the primer. The very last thing you want to deal with is an adhesion issue trust me. You only get one shot at a good base.
FlambeauHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #33 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlambeauHO View Post
If you already have your body shop picked, call or stop by, sit down and talk with a tech experienced in baking soda. Put together a plan of attack from the get go before you touch the paint. have everything ready for clean prep and prime well in advance. If your body shop is not well versed in soda find one that is, at least for the primer. The very last thing you want to deal with is an adhesion issue trust me. You only get one shot at a good base.
So I talk to my shop, find out what brand they for paint and/or primer. Then when I get car soda blasted, I then pressure wash with water then use a product such as HoldTight102 to nuetralize, then use etching primer, then pain table primer, and from there I sad, block, etc to prep for paint? Did I get the gist if it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Yessir. If you already know which shop is going to paint it, and if you're going to want the media blaster to put it in some kind of primer for you (or if you're going to do that yourself) then you should definitely check with the shop to make sure that whatever you put on the bare metal is going to be compatible with what your body shop is going to use.

No reason to be scared of sanding. It's just long hours

Bear
Sanding scares me because it is possible to sand too much and cause damage to the surface being sanded. Or in the alternative, I can sand not enough and have a crappy surface. The problem is I have no way too gauge whether I sanded too much or too little. I really do not grasp the different kinds if sanding and sanding material.
mrvandermey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #34 (permalink)

Well, I did my homework on blasting and painting. My shop uses PPG brands paints and primers. They even recommended a primer/sealer to use. So now, with any luck, I will be taking the car in to get blasted within the next two weeks or so.

I do need some help with exterior trim removal.....see my other thread on that.

On another note, as of right now, I have all the body parts except the endura bumper, the hood (the I currently have is trash) and the finishing touch, a convertible rear spoiler. I am working on getting the interior parts too. I have discovered that the convertible rear arm rests and convertible top piston cover are not an easy pieces to come by. Are the original pieces metal covered in upholstery or are they plastic? My lower arm rests are shot since some fool decided to put 6x9 speaker cut outs there. However, the upper piece (the pconvertible top piston covers) looks pretty good.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #35 (permalink)

Well, I started the tear down to prepare it for blasting. Yes, there is 95% of a complete car in all of this. Also the engine bay, frame, firewall and even the radiator support all look pretty good. Now I need to find what tools I have to start trying to get the trim off.
Attached Thumbnails
Presenting my new 1968 GTO convertible-2012-10-27_10-57-39_100.jpg   Presenting my new 1968 GTO convertible-2012-10-27_10-57-48_731.jpg   Presenting my new 1968 GTO convertible-2012-10-27_10-58-34_513.jpg   Presenting my new 1968 GTO convertible-2012-10-27_10-58-13_146.jpg   Presenting my new 1968 GTO convertible-2012-10-27_10-58-22_600.jpg  

Old 11-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #36 (permalink)

Damn, I hate that I do not have any exeperience with body work or rust repair. For I simply do not know whether a particular rust area is a huge a problem or whether it is a relatively easy repair. For example, It appears that most of my rust issues are narrowed down to two spots....1) driver's side rear quarter panel in the fender well lip only and 2) the driver's side of the trunk floor has significant surface rust that also includes two small areas of rust holes. To me it it looks bad in both spots.....but a body shop guy might have a different opinion.

I know there are a couple rust spots under the windshield where the windshield meets the dash; and on one of the replacement doors, there are 2-3 rust bubbles that may go all the way through or come close to it. My mind screams to replace the entire door (again) but that may not be practical. However, if a new door is cheaper than the added body work, then a new door it will be.

The trim work is still giving me a bit of grief. I got most of it off......but the four pieces around d the windshield and the rear cockpit surround still have me dumbfounded. By the way, is the rear bumper really only held on by the four bolts on the frame or am I missing something?
Old 11-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #37 (permalink)

You can buy door skins if your body shop thinks it would be easier.

There's a tool to aid in removing the windshield trim. It's still tricky even with the tool, but it helps. Ames and Performance Years both sell them. They're available elsewhere too. You might want to have a mobile glass guy come out and pull your trim and your windshield at the same time.

As I recall, the bumper is held on with four bolts... Two on each side.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #38 (permalink)

I actually thought about the idea of calling out a windshield guy to remove my windshield and in the process getting the trim off too, for the whindshiled is cracked and I need it out to get to the minor rust area where the dash meets the windshield.

Right now though, I am having one of those discourgaing moments. Yes, I have a nearly complete 1968 GTO convertible sitting in my garage, the problem lies is that although it is nearly complete, it is no where near completely together. In fact I am just a few pieces away of having the entire car stripped down for blasting (rear bumper, a couple trim pieces and the carpeting...all of which should be out this weekend some time). Now comes the discouraging part, wondering whether or not it will ever go back together to be a completed running car. It is days like this that I play with the idea of just dumping the entire project....maye even going so far as to buying a brand new Camaro or such.

Although I am not mechanically inclined, I can usually figure out how to take something apart (I grant, I might take longer to do it or do it in the least efficient way, but will get it done); but I am not so good at putting things back together and getting them operational. This is one of those days I am beginning to think I bit off way more than I can chew. It really sucks to have a love for old cars but very little mechanical skills.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #39 (permalink)

I am a lot like you. A lot. This is why I enlisted help on the repair work. I'm no welder. I'm no body guy. I don't want to destroy my car.

I can take a part off, buy a new one, and put the new one on. But the scope of an entire car restoration usually needs some one with an extreme amount of time, or a lot of experience, or both, which generally means a professional. That's who I went with.

If I were you, I'd stop taking the car apart and start looking for someone who will help you with the body repair work. From that point, I would work to put the car back together, again enlisting someone with experience. When it's back together and the car runs, you can then start thinking about paint, upholstery, shiny chrome, etc. Unless you have 20 grand up front, it's just too hard to put these things together all at once. When the car is together and you actually have something solid to build on, something that is drivable and insurable, you can enjoy the car while you're fixing it up over time.

I mention this from experience. I'm on my second vehicle here. I tore apart the first one I bought (old truck) and $12,000 later it is still sitting unfinished in my garage. I only drove the vehicle one time for about 5 minutes, then I tore it apart the day I bought it. Six years later it still sits without me ever enjoying it. I've thought about getting rid of it, but I'm too close and would lose way to much money. Also, my pride won't let me give up. The entire rolling chassis is done, engine done, brakes, everything powder coated, Ride Tech suspension........ it just sits.

The Pontiac I'm working on now will be drivable after 3 months from starting on it, and it was wrecked to hell and back. When the wrecked part is fixed it will still need a ton of body work, but I'm going to wait and drive it for a while. When I start spending money on it again I'll feel like I'm actually getting something for my money, rather than feeling like I'm throwing cash into a hole like I did with that truck.

Sorry for the long story. I just wanted to tell you that you're not the only one who struggles with this stuff, and that it usually is all about each persons approach to restoring a car that brings on the "**ck it" feeling.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTown View Post
I am a lot like you. A lot. This is why I enlisted help on the repair work. I'm no welder. I'm no body guy. I don't want to destroy my car.

If I were you, I'd stop taking the car apart and start looking for someone who will help you with the body repair work. From that point, I would work to put the car back together, again enlisting someone with experience. When it's back together and the car runs, you can then start thinking about paint, upholstery, shiny chrome, etc. Unless you have 20 grand up front, it's just too hard to put these things together all at once. When the car is together and you actually have something solid to build on, something that is drivable and insurable, you can enjoy the car while you're fixing it up over time.
Oh, I totally get you on this point. My last car was ugly and totally rusted out in ways I could never get fixed....but it was complete and drivable. This car is 3/4 of a car, but fortunately in my pursuit of the last car, I did manage to get most of the missing parts prior to ever getting this car. So I do have a complete car (minus a front bumper and radiator). I had hoped to get this up and running the work on it as I go. But I feel at the very least, I need to address the 2-3 rust issues before I do anything else.

I even talked with a buddy of mine today saying that I might spend the money on tools, equipment and "do it yourself books" and attempt as much of the rebuild myself as possible. Things like welding, bodywork, rust repair, and painting, I guess if I take my time, Do a lot of reading, and am prepared to redo it if I make a mistake, then maybe I can do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Restoration Discussions