Robb MC Pickup and Gas Tank Installed - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Robb MC Pickup and Gas Tank Installed

Just though I would post some pics of some work done this weekend on the 69.

1. Removed original gas tank and took it to a radiator shop where they cleaned it, painted it, and coated the inside to prevent rusting.

2. When I removed the gas tank there was a thick tar paper between the body and the gas tank. This was factory original to prevent tank from rubbing against body. This was removed when the tank was cleaned but I found a similar material at a body shop. Came in several tar/rubber panels with sticky backs. This was installed on new tank to prevent noise from tank rubbing against body.

3. Installed new 1/2 inch Robb MC fuel pickup.

4. Took a die grinder wire wheel to the undercarriage and removed all the dirt and surface rust. Then painted black and added a coat of rubber undercarriage coating to protect from elements.

5. Re-installed refurbished tank with new pickup

Last edited by jtwoods4; 11-18-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Changed Picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Lookin good there sir...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 09:54 AM

Garage
Yes indeed!....nice job.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nice job!

Randy

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Going to pull the tank on my '66. Been mentally juggling whether to have tank cleaned and coated or buy a new OEM tank. Looks like you did a nice job on your original tank!

I can get a new OEM tank delivered to the house for $145 from a supplier out of Minnesota. Will probably go that way with new sending unit to make sure everyting is clean. If for some reason that doesn't work out, will do as you did.

1966 TriPower, 4 spd, PHS documented.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2012, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMTiger View Post
Going to pull the tank on my '66. Been mentally juggling whether to have tank cleaned and coated or buy a new OEM tank. Looks like you did a nice job on your original tank!

I can get a new OEM tank delivered to the house for $145 from a supplier out of Minnesota. Will probably go that way with new sending unit to make sure everyting is clean. If for some reason that doesn't work out, will do as you did.
I always try to use the original GM components. They are much higher quality than todays aftermarket or OEM parts. Your original gas tank will most likely be much nicer than a new 1 I recommend restoring the original.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-29-2012, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

I should clarify that I am not talking about performance upgrade parts. They are usually nicer than the original GM parts. But basic OEM replacement parts usually fall short when compared to the original GM stuff. Lower quality metal and fitment is usually wrong. I hope I'm making sense.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Projects, Barn Finds & Restoration Discussions
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.