Pontiac GTO Forum banner

HELP-Auto Window switches stay illuminated

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  GM4life 
#1 ·
Sometimes when I shut the goat down the lights for the electric window switches stay illuminated and I can get in the car with no key in the ignition and roll the windows up and down. Sometimes the lights go out at shut down. I cannot figure out what causes this but over time it will drain the battery if not driven. Does anyone else see this?

#2 ·
It's normal for this if the car is shut down and the key is still in the ignition. Once the key is pulled from the cylinder or a door is opened everything shuts down except the delay in the headlights which will turn off in accordance to the delay time you selected.

To have the windows operational with the key out of the cylinder and you out of the car is not right. Sounds to me like the delay feature in conjunction with the key is not functioning properly

#3 ·
yea man, you should be able to shut your car off. unil you open the door you should basically be able to use alot of the accessories. get the electric diagram and follow it to the problem. did you happen to put an electronic start or aftermarket alarm or cd player? maybe a wire is mis spliced.

#4 ·
I have done no mods to the car what so ever. The thing is it only does this sometimes like 10% of the time or less. Like right now I could walk out to the car open the door and roll in the windows up an down without a key.

#5 ·
I went out and now when I open and shut the glove compartment the lights to the window opener go off and on. If I shake the glove compartment door the light flickers off and on. There must be a loose connection or something.

#11 ·
:coolThats cool you got it fixed. I did not see your post earlier could have saved you a trip to the dealer:D. Knowing the theory of operation is the key to troubleshooting. The BCM controls almost everything that goes on. This quote really sealed the deal also, because your BCM is behind the glove box;).

#10 ·
It looks like you win the prize. Here are the exact words on the work order.

"Power windows stayed on at all times power. N6634/ADD OLH repair bad connection at BCM 1.10. Trace circuit to BCM, inspect connection relay too, making noise, removed connector from BCM and reeconnect back. Ops OK now."

He did perform a bunch of other inspections that checked on OK. The good news is it was all covered by warranty. I did not realize that the electrc windows worked at all times regardless if the key was in or out or the doors were open and closed. I am glad that is fixed too.

#9 ·
Hi,
I've had a simular problem with my 05.
When you put the key in, you have to push in to start (normal operation).
Turning off and removing the key, the grey center of the ign switch doesn't
pop out as it should. This keeps it in Accessory mode until it times off.
I have to reinsert the key, and pull it out fast, to get the center part to pop out.
Sometimes I can just push on the center of the switch with my finger to pop it out.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.