Pontiac GTO Forum banner

New Guy with a lot of Questions

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  auburnconsulting 
#1 ·
OK, my father and I are building a 1966 GTO hardtop, ground up with a multitude of parts put together over the course of several years and through the purchase of two tempest parts cars and the GTO project car. At any rate, this will be the first of what are probably many questions to come. Several years back I bought a 455 and turbo 400 and had them rebuilt. When we got the hardtop car, the man we purchased it from said it had a professionally built 455 in it. It also had a Muncie four speed and tri power setup. We are currently in the process of deciphering all the casting codes but it appears that the 455 was initially a 1966 389 engine. Unfortunately, the heads appear to be off of a 1968 400 engine. It looks like the the original manifold. We haven't checked the carburetors yet, but are suspicious that they are reproductions. We're trying to follow up on the transmission. What I'm thinking, if a lot of this stuff matches up, we might try to keep it and restore it as a set. If it's not close to numbers matching though, what does a good rebuildable (it runs and holds oil pressure) 455 (originally 389), a Muncie four speed, and tri power setup bring in your area? It may not translate to mine, but I don't have another idea of how to value this stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

#4 ·
No doubt

The engine is definitely a 1966 389. I don't really know how it's been modified. The fellow we bought it from said it was a 455. I think that he knew more about buying and selling stuff than cars though. At any rate, that's not really the information I'm after, although it is helpful. I need to know what this stuff is worth. What would be good asking prices for parts like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.