Pontiac GTO Forum banner

under hood insulation ...

7K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  leeklm 
#1 ·
Hello,

If my 1967 GTO is not Ram Air equipped, would installing under hood insulation, thus blocking the air flow through the hood scoop, cause any performance issues? In this case, is the hood scoop purely for looks only with no functional value?

Thanks,
Jim Bach

#3 ·
Unless someone opened up the hood insert and cut a hole in the inner panel of the hood, there is zero air flow through your decorative scoop. Even for the dealer installed option of "ram air" in the 66 & 67, actual effect of the forced air is minimal based on the hood scoop location and size. Since I did not want to chop holes in my hood, below is what I installed that pulls cooler air from the fender area instead of hot air off the radiator when using an open air cleaner. After installing this air cleaner, readings on my Air/Fuel meter were leaner, so was a good change!

Although I have not quite figured out how this system is going to work if I ever install a tri power :)

Regarding insulation, AMES sells a couple of versions. The cheap version is a non-formed fiber material that is pretty decent. This is what I bought and then sprayed the insulation with clear coat to keep the fibers from separating. The 2nd option from AMES is a formed insulation pad that looks a little cleaner. I used the steel clips, which work well and look stock.

A lot of people do not install the hood insulation, but my goal was to quiet things down a little.

Attachments

#4 ·
Unless someone opened up the hood insert and cut a hole in the inner panel of the hood, there is zero air flow through your decorative scoop. Even for the dealer installed option of "ram air" in the 66 & 67, actual effect of the forced air is minimal based on the hood scoop location and size. Since I did not want to chop holes in my hood, below is what I installed that pulls cooler air from the fender area instead of hot air off the radiator when using an open air cleaner. After installing this air cleaner, readings on my Air/Fuel meter were leaner, so was a good change!
Where did you get that ram air kit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.