Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Hurst Dual Gate Problem.

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  666bbl 
#1 ·
I am a new member, I recently purchased a 1970 GTO 455 with a TH400. It came with what I'm assuming is a 1968 Hurst Dual Gate which shifts like its stuck in molasses. I was surprised that there was no support from Hurst, or should I say the current owner of Hurst, for repair, rebuild etc. I see they are available as "new" units but I'm wondering if I should try to go back to what originally came in the car (if I can find a good one) or if there is a good aftermarket other than Hurst.

By way of introduction my former self was a British car guy, the GTO found me (as all good cars do) and I couldn't pass it up.

#2 ·
i would try de-greasing and cleaning it all first, also check that the cable is not kinked, or a cut in the sleeve causing rust. Even a small kink in the cable can cause them to act up and if its oxidized in the sheath it will be sticky like you describe. Shiftworks makes a very nice replacement cable thicker and more flexible than the GM ones. Probably the only aftermarket part i have found that is better than the original. They also will have everything you need if you decide to go to the 70's shifter. The 70 shifter also has a shift stop for manual shifting. Its much simpler than the dual gate, push the handle towards the right fender while slapping it up one gear. Did not have near the "cool" factor as the hurst though.

#6 ·
Sometimes a bad engine ground can cause the vehicle to use the trans cable as a ground, and the insulation on the trans cable will be melted, with stiff shifter operation. Remove the cable at both ends and verify that it moves freely within the housing. These cables are not lubricated, nor are they supposed to be. Should move very freely.

#8 ·
I had the issue years ago on a 69 Grand Prix. Bad engine ground, but what it did to the cable was magnetize it from the ground current running through it (!). I'd have never figured it out had I not dropped one end into my fastener stash spilled on the floor. I bolted 2 copper mesh type grounds from the heads to the firewall and installed a new cable. Funny thing was, a year later it did it again. I never did figure it out and sold the car to buy a 74 Chevy panel van (70s shaggin wagon :cool:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.