Pontiac GTO Forum banner

66 gto identification help

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  1966OZGTO 
#1 ·
I guys, new to the forum but a 68 chevelle owner that I have finished restoring.

I'm currently looking to swap my beloved chevelle for what is supposed to be a matching numbers 66 GTO. Having trouble attaching pics via iPad so I'll detail what I have so far.
VIN 242176Z121111
Engine casting number D 9778789
Stamped near the head on passenger side of engine 468559 with the letters WV underneath.
Transmission is a Muncie with a stamp 3925660 And a tag 3687268 attached.
Also has tri power with Rochesters.

Help please
Thanks
Rob

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
numbers on 66 GTO

Hello I can help you with some of the numbers because I just purchased a 67 GTO and researched the numbers on the data plate, which is what your picture is of.
The 242= GTO
the 17=hard top
the 6= year model
the 2= made in Calif
the 121111 is a production number

the WV on the engine = 360 HP manual transmission (to have the 360 HP you should have the tri-power

That's all I know. hope it helps some

#4 ·
Ok sounds right so far and I will order a report as mentioned.

There is one strange thing that's troubling me a little though. Is it possible or has anyone seen the front indicator lights in the bumper on a 66 rather than on the grille. GTO badge is on the right side of the grille and the front grilles look to be 66 not 65.
Could that be early factory install or the bumper swapped for a 65 (don't know if they were interchangeable?

See pic of car attached.

Attachments

#8 ·
The pic shows a LeMans grille and front bumper, not GTO stuff. This calls for inspection of the inner front fenders for evidence of LeMans badging holes filled in. My bet is that this car has been in a front end collision, and has a LeMans front clip. Not uncommon. You need to figure the price of a correct GTO grille in with the car. The bumper is the same....just remove the lights.

#9 ·
Ok, if that's all it is then should be a go on the purchase as all other numbers etc check out as genuine GTO.
Sound right to you guys?
Basically I'm swapping a restored 68 Malibu (not matching engine number) for this GTO and also getting 5k cash on top. Hadn't factored a grille but plenty of repro options.
Also looked through the trunk and found a set of lights that must be for the "correct" grill last night.

Had GTO up on the hoist. No rust or major mechanical issues but will need new exhaust and interior re apohoster and a bit of TLC, dash fascia, knobs etc.

What are you seeing these go for in the states? Considering Aussie dollar is crap vs USD at the moment. Ie 1 Aussie dollar equal to say 63 cents USD.

Pic of chevelle attached for interest only. I have about 28k Aussie dollars into the Chevelle.

Really appreciate the advise from you guys on this and Keen to get the real deal!!

Thanks
Rob

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.