Ram Air manifolds - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ram Air manifolds

Rebuilt 1967 400 replaced heads with Edelbrock performers, identical in dimension to Pontiac Ram Air HO heads, bought reproduction Ram Air exhaust manifolds, they hit the front frame crossmember. Anyone know how to get this to fit? What did Pontiac do in 1967 for Ram Air?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
When I bought my 67 it either came from the factory with the HO manifolds or someone along the line put them on.
They are 67 manifolds according to the casting numbers and they are really close to the frame.
Have you looked at your transmission mount and the rubber isolators at the ends of the cross member?
Mine was compressed and the replacement is a good 1/4" taller.
The isolators were also worn and I have replaced all 3.
I am sure this will move them back from the frame a bit, I will see for sure when I get my engine back from the builder.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have replacement Ram Air exaust on my 67 with stock heads. New engine mounts, transmisssion mount and isolators with no issues. As GoatRoper indicated you problem must be with one or all of these mounts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I called Scott Tiemann at Supercar Specialties. He confirmed what I thought: I have round port heads identical to the original HO heads, not D port like stock non-HO. These require the "68" style tam air exhaust manifolds. This combo will not fit a '67 GTO crossmember without notching and welding up the crossmember. It's that or custom headers. Unless someone else has a great idea I think I am going to have to decide between modifying the frame or having headers made. I don't want aftermarket headers, flanges too thin (leaks) and hang too low. Probably going to go with frame mods.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:22 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Thanks. I called Scott Tiemann at Supercar Specialties. He confirmed what I thought: I have round port heads identical to the original HO heads, not D port like stock non-HO. These require the "68" style tam air exhaust manifolds. This combo will not fit a '67 GTO crossmember without notching and welding up the crossmember. It's that or custom headers. Unless someone else has a great idea I think I am going to have to decide between modifying the frame or having headers made. I don't want aftermarket headers, flanges too thin (leaks) and hang too low. Probably going to go with frame mods.
Not that hard a modification to the frame with the engine out and the front sheet metal off. I about answered your original post, but assumed you had bought the relatively new Edelbrock D port heads versus the earlier roundport Edelbrock heads.

Feel free and post some pics of he steering column shaft clearance at the rag joint area of your column with the roundport exhaust manifolds. Originally with '67 400 HO and RamAir cars, and their D port "HO" manifolds, the column had a shaft with a spined end that took a cast iron flange that unbolted. This was due to clearance issues when using the standard issue column/ lower shaft.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up on the steering. Was the interference due to the heads themselves or the manifolds? I will indeed post photos of the whole shebang when it is done. The work is being completed at Moal Coachbuilders. The motor was built by Dan Brewer. It is now 466 ci and has the round port heads because they give the best performance but of course have all the logos removed and are painted Pontiac blue. Mild cam, and I sort of handcuffed him by insisting on a restored tri-power intake just because I like the looks. The tri-power runs out of suck pretty early on this big motor so hp wasn't what it could have been but with 530 lbs ft torque at 3500 rpm I should be OK. I may let Moal build custom SS headers with thick flanges so they don't leak. That solves everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Forum Help > Gtoforum.com Site Help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in