LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelbox View Post
Has there been any progress made. I would be interested to know.
Well I went to rebuild the carb and when putting it back together I found the needle and seat threads along with the cap/screw for the acc pump check ball were damaged/no good. So called the guy and he had one off an Olds. The throttle linkage is different so need to come up with something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 04:01 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Well I went to rebuild the carb and when putting it back together I found the needle and seat threads along with the cap/screw for the acc pump check ball were damaged/no good. So called the guy and he had one off an Olds. The throttle linkage is different so need to come up with something.
Sounds to me like some amateur was in the carb doing a rebuild.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

Yeah, they had teflon tape holding them in.

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 08:07 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
Yeah, they had teflon tape holding them in.

Idiots! They should have used teflon paste.

Well, at least you know what the problem was. You should be able to swap the bases to get the Pontiac linkage, no?

I would also look at the jet sizes to make sure they are not too small, and carb runs lean. I don't have a size for the Pontiac, but I do have them for the 1970 model Olds 400CI which shows the jet to be .070 which should be a good number to shoot for. Here is an article that may help ID the carb & jet/rod combo's plus tuning - http://www.corvette-restoration.com/...arb_Tuning.pdf
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2016, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

The base on the original one is about shot. The throttle shafts are sloppy as heck and the new one is brand new. Got a guy coming over that owns a machine shop and he's going to see if he can get a hole in the linkage for me. The old style was a ball and socket joint and the new one is just a post with a hole for a cotter key. I tried to drill a hole through the socket but could even make a dent in it.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Original '68 model Pontiac Qjets are easy to spot, whether they were made by Rochestor or Carter. Their throttle body's have a port that sticks straight out the passenger side below the choke. Mass rebuilders liked to add that port to '69 and '70 Pontiac Qjets, in order to make the later Pontiac Qjets "more "...one fits all...more garbage that has to be sorted through. Have tuned '68 "262"s and "268"s on '67 Qjet intakes before and they ran fine, having to obtain a '67 Qjet to run on the '67 intake is not an issue. On the secondary air valve spring, there is is no reason to mess with it on a typical rebuild. The secondary air valve spring was slightly looser on a quicker revving factory HP engine, than it was on a lower performance, much smaller cam, base 4bbl engine. If someone previous has played with this spring, and it is looser than stock, good chance you will encounter a stumble as the secondaries kick in. I'm betting that is only part of the problem, though. Today's oxygenated garbage fuel does not run near as well in original spec late '60's Qjets. Rukee, do you have a selection of early secondary rods and hangers? do you have Cliffs book?
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Former Super Moderator

No I don't on either. nor does either carb have the port under the choke. The replacement carb runs great, except the choke is set with rivets so I can't adjust it and it's set too tight. But after the choke opens it runs great and lights up the tires from a standing start no problem. I know I should be able do drill them out and maybe tap them and make it adjustable.
I'm also wondering if I could get some heli coils for the original carb and fix that one up. If I do I'll be sure to check that spring you were talking about. If it is messed up I have a few parts carbs here. With the messed up threads wouldn't be surprised if that was messed too.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
On bushing the primary throttle shafts, I used to take well worn Qjet throttle body's to a local carb shop that charged $40 to properly bush the front holes and reassemble. Then a circle track builder buddy from the same part of the city, bought a kit out of AZ alongvwith a small bag of bushings to properly rebush the throttle body's, and we repaired a few early together. Both of those sources are now a 30+ min drive, and I can guarantee have gone up in price (or price of favors). Recently found a local shop through chatting with an exPontiac buddy who owns the NAPA two miles from my home to bush the primary throttle shafts. Am going to try him out soon, as the price is really good and the shop is less than 5 miles away, near one of my favorite Mexican restaraunts.

On the 7/8" inlet (early style) Qjet's, I finally broke down two years ago and bought a repair kit with quite a few stainless helicoils. Found it on Amazon. There are several sources now. Have used it twice at another buddys shop, he has a Bridgeport. FWIW, about 5 years ago, the elder Carb guru on the big Pontiac board, gave me a part number and a place to order the helicoil installation tool from....just the tool was over $350. Glad I held out, a few years later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > Pontiac B-Body Discussion (All years)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in