1964 GTO 4speed carb cfm? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1964 GTO 4speed carb cfm?

I have a 64 GTO 4 speed, 4 barrel, 389 and I don't have the stock carb on it. I researched a lot of web and threads, thinking this would be an easy question to find an answer for, but I was wrong. I find that the stock carb was probably a Carter AFB, but don't know the proper cfm for the 4 barrel? I know this is subjective, but is the Carter of the proper size the "best" way to go for smooth performance in a stock motor? Thanks,
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
I have a 64 GTO 4 speed, 4 barrel, 389 and I don't have the stock carb on it. I researched a lot of web and threads, thinking this would be an easy question to find an answer for, but I was wrong. I find that the stock carb was probably a Carter AFB, but don't know the proper cfm for the 4 barrel? I know this is subjective, but is the Carter of the proper size the "best" way to go for smooth performance in a stock motor? Thanks,
Joe
If you don't care about "original" it's tough to beat a well set up QJet for the street on that size motor. I know that the original Carter was also a spreadbore carb, but I don't know if the bore size and spacing on a QJet is the same and will work on the 64 manifold. Carters are good too, though. At 600 cfm they don't move quite as much air as a Qjet (750 cfm) but still would probably be sufficient for a stock 389.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with Bear, if you're looking for performance vs originality the Carter might not be the best solution. Quadrajets, especially those rebuilt by Cliff Rugles (sic) are very popular and folks rave about them.

Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets :: Qjet Carburetor Rebuild Kits, Parts, Quadrajet Rebuilding, Quadrajet Parts, Bushing Kits, Carb Tuning

Another solution is to consider an Edelbrock carb, cheaper than a Cliff Rugles Quadrajet and a pretty reliable carb. The Edelbrocks are for all intents modern remakes of the Carter AFB design.

If your 389 is stock, an Edelbrock 600 or 750 would probably work fine:

Edelbrock.com - Carburetors & Accessories - Performer Series Carburetors

Rick

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PS, here are some PY posts that talk about AFB CFM:

Original AFB CFM? - PY Online Forums

Carburetor comparisons - PY Online Forums

Pontiac AFB carburetor part numbers

Pontiac Carter AFB carbs - PY Online Forums

The last thread is really helpful, if the data is correct the original AFB for your 64 the CFM was probably 575.

Rick

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 01:30 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I agree with Rick. If your car is otherwise stock, an original AFB will bolt right on and work very well with your combo. A Q-jet would need a Q-jet type manifold to work well, and that may be an issue with a '64 block, as the intake pattern was changed for '65-up.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I am in the hunt for a new carb and will take all of your information and see what I find.
Joe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 01:46 PM

I know this is an old thread but can you adapt a qjet to the original manifold? Will it dog the performance of the qjet by doing so? I can get a free qjet from a friend, rebuild it and run it on either a ep4! Or stock iron intake. Thoughts?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willshire View Post
I know this is an old thread but can you adapt a qjet to the original manifold? Will it dog the performance of the qjet by doing so? I can get a free qjet from a friend, rebuild it and run it on either a ep4! Or stock iron intake. Thoughts?
you would need some kind of adaptor to put a qjet on a stock 64 manifold. quadra jets are a variable cfm carbs. they are designed to work on everything from a 6 cylinder to a 455.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in