User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1964 GTO tripower option (myth ?)

Hi

Thought this was strange, but a friend says he read that the 64 GTO tripower carb manifold option was shipped in the trunk and then dealer installed.

He insisted that author Brock Yates, (r.i.p.) said that comment in an old 'Car and Driver' or 'Motor Trend' magazine article many years ago. I could find absolutely no reference to this in any web search.

Is there anyone of the older crowd that may know if true or not. I am skeptical about it, especially - what would have happened to all those four bbl manifolds and carbs that were left over.?

I really wouldn't want the dealer messing with my brand new 389ci engine...:- )

wondering
KW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-07-2015, 08:21 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Never heard that one. In the mid 90's was given a long time Vette guys collection of over 20 years of Car & Drivers dating from '63 through mid '70's. I subscribed to C&D from '77-83. Once Pontiac was forced to cut the balls off their power trains having to run 305 Chebbies, was out on new Pontiacs. Spent many an evening when my son was little and up half the night reading old Car & Drivers.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

1964 GTO myth, further notes

Thanks pinion head for your comments,

I think also since cams were different for the 4bbl and tripower, how would dealers be expected to do the carb changeover add on, along with camshaft change, gaskets, tranny and throttle linkages etc.

Back in those days 4bbl w manifold, air cleaner - the return costs for packing, freight and customs duties etc would have made the whole thing expensive to do. (vs putting the tripower on at the factory). Also, isn't there a law against false Build Sheets.? And for 8,000 or so GTO cars too.

There was a day when Brock Yates authored an article in C&D when a Test [389?] GTO went 1/4 mile in 11.9 sec or so in a blue test Goat from Royal Pontiac, he went 'thermal' and denied he knew anything about a 421 cu in in it.

A strange tavern+beer car story...:- )

kilo-watt

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 12:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I heard something about later 66 or 67 ram air being shipped in trunk. Also post 66 GM ban on multi carb, I believe cars like the original Camaro z/28 had different intake shipped in the trunk.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo-watt View Post
Thanks pinion head for your comments,

I think also since cams were different for the 4bbl and tripower, how would dealers be expected to do the carb changeover add on, along with camshaft change, gaskets, tranny and throttle linkages etc.

Back in those days 4bbl w manifold, air cleaner - the return costs for packing, freight and customs duties etc would have made the whole thing expensive to do. (vs putting the tripower on at the factory). Also, isn't there a law against false Build Sheets.? And for 8,000 or so GTO cars too.

There was a day when Brock Yates authored an article in C&D when a Test [389?] GTO went 1/4 mile in 11.9 sec or so in a blue test Goat from Royal Pontiac, he went 'thermal' and denied he knew anything about a 421 cu in in it.

A strange tavern+beer car story...:- )

kilo-watt
Specs from then are always hazy on purpose. Insurance was just starting to close its grip on performance and muscle cars. Advertising true performance or horsepower numbers got increasingly rarer as it could spell the end for sales due to insurance premiums. In '65 the GTO 389 got a revised cam over the previous year. The Tripower option added yet another cam revision, but they were sent from the factory with the TriPower setup.

Back then a many dealers would not hesitate to do something like a cam swap, it is far less complicated and convoluted with warranty nightmares than today. In fact some of the bigger dealers offered entire engine swaps and transformations. Pretty amazing time in cars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 09:51 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
kilo-watt, your friend is misinformed. Tripower GTO's came as running/driving/ready-to-go cars. No cloak and dagger needed. I heard what Tug heard 35 years ago about '67's coming with a tripower in the trunk, but that's a load of BS as well. Most tripower '66's were produced early in the year to my understanding, and the factory never supplied them for the 400 engines. The Blue and Red '64 ringer GTO's that were in the car and driver tests have only recently been 'outed' by Jim Wangers. A gentleman named Tenney on the PY forums owns the red car, still in it's original form. The blue car has been lost to history.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 11:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
This is 100% FALSE. Cars came from the factory ready to lay rubber.

However, Mercedes 190's did come with a factory option to install a super charger on their engine. And that supercharger was a third party piece of equipment and that part did come with the car in the trunk. It was to be installed by the dealer and that was a factory option.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 12:16 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Speaking of Mercedes, Ponitiac Super Duty cars came with the aluminum exhaust manifolds in the trunk on delivery. (They melted if used regularly on the street).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in