1964 GTO value - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1964 GTO value

Hey guys, haven't been on here in awhile. I'm looking for a little bit of help, as I don't seem to be able to find the information I'm looking for. An older gentleman that I worked with for years, now retired, is planning on selling his '64 GTO. He is the original owner, bought it new. It's a hardtop, with the B-pillars, 389 4-bbl, 4 speed. Black with white interior. The car was repainted once, apparently with enamel, which is peeling. It also has some damage on one rear quarter, and damage on a front fender. The car hasn't been driven in the 27 + years that I've known it, so it's a restoration project. It is and always has been garage kept. I'm trying to give him an idea of what it's worth, and I'm going to try and help him sell it, likely on here. I'd like to have it myself, but no room and no money. I would like to see it find a good home. Help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:24 PM

Pictures are worth a thousand comments

Please upload as many pictures as possible. All aspects of the GTO.
Engine bay, interior, trunk, under car, etc.
Mileage to date. Has the GTO been run in the past 27 years?
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-25-2014, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Not sure the last time it was started up, I believe its been awhile. I'm hoping to get with him the day after Thanksgiving, I'll try to get photos and information as far as mileage, etc. Its been a few years since I saw the car, but I believe it's a base car, not highly optioned.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERGOLD65 View Post
Not sure the last time it was started up, I believe its been awhile. I'm hoping to get with him the day after Thanksgiving, I'll try to get photos and information as far as mileage, etc. Its been a few years since I saw the car, but I believe it's a base car, not highly optioned.
One piece of advice -- a ONE-owner car with all of the historical paperwork (e.g., titles, registrations, repair bills) and the owner's "story" about how he garaged the car, drove the car, etc. should add value to this car.

Another suggestion -- get Pontiac Historical Society paperwork on this car if you don't have the original window sticker or build sheet (build sheet sometimes placed under back seat). If the applicable paperwork indicates that the car is "numbers mataching" (i.e., car still has the engine, transmission, rear end, carburetor, etc. that it was born with), that also will add value to the car.

Good luck helping your friend and Happy Thanksgiving.

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If the owner has the protect-o-plate that will add so much more value to the car. That plate has info that even PHS can't tell you about.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:18 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Post some pictures, please. A hardtop does not have a B-pillar, but a coupe does. Either one is worth about the same. Sounds like a neat project, but take time to do the math. I've found that rust free, complete cars in CA that need restoration but no patch panels or extensive bodywork need about $25,000 in parts to restore....if you do it all yourself. That's no labor. Add the cost of the car and a paint job, and it gets over 40-60k very quickly. The prices of parts, labor, and materials have skyrocketed, while the value of these cars has remained flat. THe car you describe in #2 driver condition is a 40-50k car. To get this car to that level could cost you 80k. Be prepared for that. Do your homework, and get all the information you can. If it were me, I'd be all over it. Sounds like a very cool car.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for correcting my terminology. I guess I was trying to convey the fact that the car is not a convertible. Still trying to get in touch with the owner and/or his wife, and I'm wondering if they went out of town for Thanksgiving. As soon as I have pics and data, I'll post it. I agree, it is a cool car, but aren't all the old Goats? I'd love to have it, knowing the history of it, but I don't have a place to keep it or money to fix it. I can't even get my '65 done, let alone take on another project. I also have a '57 Bel Air hardtop that needs done. Too many projects, not enough $$$
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

1964 Pontiac GTO Photos by tripower65 | Photobucket

If this link works correctly, this should be the photos of the '64. I thought I had a pic of the data plate, but it wasn't in my camera when I downloaded the photos. I tried to look the car over good today, had limited space to work with. The owner did not have the keys handy, so I did not see in the trunk. He told me the hub caps are in there. The frame looks a little scabby, but seems to be solid. Floors will need work, and I'm sure the trunk will too. Did not try to turn the motor over by hand, plan to go back and try that after letting a little oil soak in. 4-speed tranny will not shift, seems to be stuck. Car has been in this basement garage since 1982, and that apparently is the last time it was operated, possibly last time it was running. Did not find the build sheet under the back seat, did find the original warranty booklet. I did not photograph the title, but the car was originally titled to this gentleman's mother, because he was a minor. The title was signed over to him in 1967. He has always been the "owner", but is the second titleholder. It would take some work, but I think the old girl could be resurrected. Car appears to have just under 133,000 miles.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERGOLD65 View Post
I'm trying to give him an idea of what it's worth, and I'm going to try and help him sell it, likely on here. I'd like to have it myself, but no room and no money. I would like to see it find a good home. Help?
In my opinion, because the car is a non tri power car and will need an extensive restoration I think it would be worth around $5K to $8K. Put it on e-bay with a higher reserve and see what it will bring.

Randy

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 07:08 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
This is a very neat, well documented car. It even has the rare, original shift knob with the round topped '3'...instead of the Hurst replacement knob with the flat-topped '3'. It needs a LOT of rust repair, and that gets very expensive. Personally, being a CA guy, it has too much rust for me. I would place it's value at 5k or so in its current condition. It appears all there, and a great color combo. This car would definitely cost more to restore than the end product would be worth, due to the rust repair needed. Still, it needs to be saved. I would be tempted to buy it, get it serviced and running, and drive it as-is, just to piss off purists at car shows!! Whatever the outcome, please keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in