1964 GTO-what to do with it? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1964 GTO-what to do with it?

Hello everyone, this is obviously my first post. Here is the situation.

I have a 1964 GTO that I just inherited from my father. My father bought the car in the Spring of 1965 and has had it every since. He passed away last year and now I need to decide what to do with it.
It is a 1964 hardtop model, 2 speed automatic, 389 single four barrel carb, power windows and AC. He always said this was kind of a rare 64 because he bought it from his dealership where he worked from a old woman who ordered the car with those options and ultimately traded it in, then he bought it.
It has had body work restoration over the years but nothing frame off or anything major, just him and local body men. It has the original engine, tranny and rear end---as he always told me he never did anything to the car except valve cover gaskets years ago. The body is now in pretty bad shape from sitting outside for so many years. It ran up until a few months ago and just stopped, not sure if it's something minor or major causing it not to run.
I have the original AC comp, front seats, back seat frame, radio, misc parts that he took out and kept. Obviously it has a newer radio, current black seats-in decent shape.
I am going to get the PHS papers soon, I checked on this site to decode the VIN #s and the car was built in Pontiac.
The BIG question is---what do I do with it? It saddens me to get rid of it but looking at it sit there makes me sad too. I grew up in that car and drove it as a teenager and had so much fun in it---just like he did as teenager!
Im not sure what its worth in its current conditon and who would know what price to ask and where to sell it?
Im sorry for long post but any help would be appreciated.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Pictures would be a big help. If you're not up to doing a restoration or even a "fix up and drive" repair job, selling it would be a great solution. The car would end up restored by a new enthusiast, and the beat would go on. ebay, or craigslist would be a good place to start. If it were me, I'd keep the car if I had an inside place to keep it, and I'd fix it and enjoy it. You are luckier than most of us: there were no performance cars in my family growing up! The sentimental value alone must be of great value. Again, that said, If I were you and wanted to sell it, I'd put it on ebay with a realistic reserve and let the buyers bid on it. Most cars on ebay seem to bring real prices, the ones that sell at least. If it's rusty and non running, and partially disassembled, it's worth much less than a non rusty, running (although weathered and worn) car. Post a picture or two and we'll give you a ballpark value. It's still a first year GTO, it has AC, and it has value. Take care.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Garage
It would be a shame to sell your Dad's car. I wouldn't. If you can't afford the restoration now, maybe find an inside place to put the car for a few years til you are able to restore it. Or do your best to stop the rust for now, POR-15 and elbow grease. I take it your not a mechanic, but these cars are pretty easy to work on.
Like GTO said, post some pics and let us take a look.
Sorry about your Dad, lost mine a couple months ago, got a 00 Cavalier out of the deal, and it was my car I sold to him, not that special..

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Welcome to the herd....if it were me i would get her running and keep it, as it sounds like it brings back good memories for you, your father kept it all those years and that i am sure was because of his love for the car. Hopefully you have a garage where you can store it and work on it. Like GeeTee said post up a few pics and we'll give you an honest opinion on value....being basically original owner car helps and all original numbers matching is in your favor, also AC, power windows are neat options on a 64'.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Keep it....someday you will have some bucks for the restore, and you'll be sorry if you sold it! Lots of GTOs floating around, but only one "ol' man". eric

post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words and opinions... I am kind of torn either way that's for sure. I probably would feel really bad if I did sell it after the fact for sure.
I have a lot of memories in that car--too many to list. My dad was known for "the goat" forever and ever in our town and thats all everyone ever asked, kind of funny.
I wish I had a place inside to keep it and cant afford an inside storage. Maybe I will just get a decent cover and keep her for awhile and maybe one day get to fix her up and enjoy
Thanks guys---this means alot to vent this
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 PM

Garage
As long as you have a title you can always rebuild the car! Glad to see that you aren't serious about selling it. Maybe some of your dad's friends could help you out with it, never hurts to ask.. Good luck, hope it works out.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-11-2011, 08:51 PM

I think you should keep it as well. When or if your ever having a hard time about your father working on something he had so much pasion for could really be a help to you. Best of luck and sorry for your loss.

In the Works.
1965 GTO
Looking for a 66 or 67 GTO.

The ones i let go.
1972 Pontiac Lemans mild 455 SOLD
2001 WS6 Cam only 385 whp. SOLD
2004 GTO Stock only had 14k miles. SOLD
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
One more vote for keep it....pretty regular stream of posts here with guys looking for their Dad's Goat, you've got yours! Hang on to it and wait til you can do something with it.

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 08-12-2011, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate you guys helping me out and offering the kind words, it means alot and I can tell are genuine. I am going to keep it and one day enjoy driving it as he and I did for so long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in