1965 - 1967 Pontiacs gas tank fill - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1965 - 1967 Pontiacs gas tank fill

Hello all. I'm new to this site and have a few questions I am sure someone on here can help me out with. I have a 65 Tempest and a 67 Lemans. Both have the rear gas tank fill under the license plate. Is it just me, or do the new gas pump handles not work correctly to fill these older cars? I can imagine I'm not the first to mention this on the site, but I was not able to find any threads on the site. Every time I go to fill them up, the gas pours out before the pump gets it shut off. I have tried pumping it slow and trying to listen for the sound of it getting close to topped off, only to get that last splash across the face. Do they make a protective boot, or temporary adapter or anything that I can use to help prevent the splash back? Or does anyone have any ideas or comments?? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had same problem with my '67 Goat. I think it has something to do with the position of the nozzle in relation to the tank vent. If the nozzle doesn't go past the tank vent then no back pressure will build up because the vent is acting like a pressure relief valve. I don't fill my tank so I can't say for sure that's the problem. But sometimes early in the process I would get the splash out.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
A friend told me that the gas pump nozzles are designed for 1990's and up vehicles with tanks and fill tubes designed to prevent splashback and raw gas spillage (unburned hydrocarbons ) . I have the same problem as you with my '68 and it is annoying, especially if you're doing a road trip and want a full tank. I remember decades ago when gas fillers behind the bumper were commonplace and you'd see the asphalt in the middle of the lane at traffic lights "eaten out" by gas coming out out loose or vented caps when people started up.
Wish I had a good answer for you.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I never fill mine to the top n pump slow when I know im getting close.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don't know of any fix for it. Like Rickm says, slow down when you get close. Don't worry about getting it completely full. Or carry plenty of paper towels to clean up the mess.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I experience the same problem. Found a fill station where the front of the car is down and rear is up. It helps as you can hear the gurgle which means to stop or it will splash out.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 03:35 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
They all do it with the 'new' style nozzles. CA has had these nozzles for the past 30 years. I simply hold back the boot with my fingers, and listen to the tank as it gets full. You can hear it. Been doing this out of necessity for decades now on all my early GTO's.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Aluminum Fuel Nozzle Boot Holder - Honda Gold Wing Parts & Accessories by WingStuff.com

A guy at a gas station had this thing and it seemed to work really well for him

I use a piece of 8 inch long 3/4 inch inside diam dielsel hose to slide over the nozzel. It is ok but I have to watch when I fill up. It will still spill but I dont have as many issues

I understand there is a replacement nuck as well that will solve the issue and let it operate like a new filler neck
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Former Moderator

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
They all do it with the 'new' style nozzles. CA has had these nozzles for the past 30 years. I simply hold back the boot with my fingers, and listen to the tank as it gets full. You can hear it. Been doing this out of necessity for decades now on all my early GTO's.
This is what I do, I figured it out the first time I filled my goat and got the dooshback.
The new Ca. gas cans are a joke, I have a small one gallon for my weed whacker and it dumped gas everywhere.
You need 3 hands to use it without spilling gas everywhere.
I finally gutted the filler neck and made a rubber gasket to go under the nozzle.

I bought 5 5 gallon cans and a 1 gallon while I was in Az. so I can fill my bikes and stuff without spilling gas everywhere.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 10:05 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
I still have some old Blitz non-safety gas cans I got before the gov't lowered the boom and put them out of business. Gas cans you can actually use to refuel your vehicle without pouring 30%of the fuel on your pants and shoes. What a concept. I also have some antique metal cans with the wooden handles....what a pleasure to use. Nobody needs a fuel can with a marital aid attached to the nozzle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in