1965 GTo "Painted Top" Factory?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
1965 GTo "Painted Top" Factory??

trying to do some research for a friend. He bought his 65 GTO new out west, and it has (still has original paint) a painted black top, over Maize. It has the surround trim. He bought it this way from the dealer.
Is this a factory option? Are their production records? Love to knwo!
thanks!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 09:31 PM
Former Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Yes there are, get a PHS report.

PHS Historic Services
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Painted roofs were a factory option, can be read right off the original trim tag, next to PAINT. Next to embossed PAINT, (or PNT), the trim tag should read Y for Mayfair Maize, then I'd bet C for Cameo Ivory. If the 2nd letter is a different letter than C, do a quick web search for '65 GTO colors.

Owned a '67 GTO Sports Coupe in the late 80's, Montego Cream with a Signet Gold painted roof, was built out of the Kansas City plant. The original trim tag noted the two different letters, T and G. A peculiar thing, the stamped 2nd letter code(upper paint color) used a slightly smaller font G. Since then, have owned several dozen LeMans and T-37 partscars and one other GTO with contrasting factory painted roofs. Current factory 400 4spd '72 Coupe has the option (cameo ivory painted roof).

Not that well known, but many dealers in the South and Southwest optioned cars with the lighter colored painted roofs to help reflect hot summer sun rays. Sometimes dealers even ordered two tone paint treatment in odd ways. Parted on a '65 Tempest wagon in large country yard that was Mayfair Maize with a black painted top. On the '65 & '65 Tempest wagons, there is just a paint line, no trim separating the colors, like there was on "two tone" two door hardtop, 2door Sports Coupe, or even a 4door. On the hardtops, coupes, & sedans, "vinyl top" stainless trim was used to separate the two colors. In nice straightable condition, this trim has been very hard to find in even old country boneyards for a long long time. In the late '80's and through the 90's I took the time to pull such trim, as realized there was a demand for it.

Hope this helped, welcome to the forum!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 10:07 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Back in the early '90's a friend bought a column/automatic, AC equipped loaded '65 GTO that was Nightwatch Blue on the bottom and Fontaine Blue on the roof. Have seen several others over the years.....even '68-'69's. Better than a vinyl top, which holds moisture and destroys the roof.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
My 66 GTO was ordered by the original owners in a two-tone combination, Mission Beige (code V) with a Martinique Bronze (code T) top.

Check out the pictures in my garage.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:57 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Slim, I just checked out your garage.....very nice work! I had forgotten that you had so much history with the car....a true 'day two' owner with a lifetime of memories. I'll bet your baby is like a member of the family....what a rarely seen color combo. VERY period, and probably 90% of the few that came in your colors are now Resale Red! Neat photos!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 09:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Slim, I just checked out your garage.....very nice work! I had forgotten that you had so much history with the car....a true 'day two' owner with a lifetime of memories. I'll bet your baby is like a member of the family....what a rarely seen color combo. VERY period, and probably 90% of the few that came in your colors are now Resale Red! Neat photos!

Thanks for your comments.

It IS a very special car and very special to me. I have owned it for more than 43 years.

Here's a nice photo taken "back in the day", in spring of 1976.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New here. I restored '65 hardtop (one of several) in the '90s that was Teal Turquoise/Cameo Ivory top. Turq interior, 4sp, pwr att, original splitter/wire wheel car. Don't know how to post pics yet.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking at your garage pics. What drag strip were you at with the truck in the background? I saw this pic on a FB page for Blaney Drag strip in Elgin, SC which said the pic was at a drag strip in Orangeburg, SC.

Johnny
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 11:10 PM

Garage
Orangeburg Dragstrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6T5GOAT View Post
Looking at your garage pics. What drag strip were you at with the truck in the background? I saw this pic on a FB page for Blaney Drag strip in Elgin, SC which said the pic was at a drag strip in Orangeburg, SC.
It was taken at Orangeburg Dragstrip. Most probably taken in 1975.

I made two time out (T/O) runs that day. I still have the time slips.

The truck is a 1955 Chevrolet Cameo Carrier, a rare truck.

The big man was my brother, the woman in the Cameo was his wife.

The other fellow was a friend of mine. I took the photo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in