User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1966 389 Starter replacement

Guys,

Does anyone have step by step instructions to remove the starter from the car. I have got it loose but for the life of me I can't seem to wedge it out. Is there some tri k to it?

Thx

Louie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie3888 View Post
Guys,

Does anyone have step by step instructions to remove the starter from the car. I have got it loose but for the life of me I can't seem to wedge it out. Is there some tri k to it?
Does it have the bracket on the front end of the starter that connects to one of the motor mount bolts? If so, do you have that loose and up out of the way?

Normally once all the bolts and wires are disconnected, you can slide the starter forward then tip it down and out. Sometimes headers can make that a little trickier...

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Garage
You just have to hold your tongue right..
Headers can get in the way. What is it hanging up on?

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

I did remove the back braket and push it back, also I disconnected the exhaust pipe from the header and still if I try to go back or back and down the back of the casing is hitting the engine frame and the pushed back starter support bracket.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM

Garage
If you cant see room, then you may have to loosen the header and move it out of the way for starter replacement.

Burning rubber since 1982!!
My photobucket, lots of dif car pics.
http://s411.photobucket.com/home/jetstang
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie3888 View Post
Guys,

Thx

Louie
its a pia. there is little room. disconnect positive battery cable, dismount the battery cable insulator tube that goes through the manifold and let it drop down. then get under the car and remove the bolts. if you have the back brace you have to get it out of the way. once the bolts are out manuver it back and up and drop the nose out first. then you have to balance it with one arm while you remove the wire connections with the other one. be careful not to let the starter hang on the small solenoid wires. its easy to damage them. like i said. its a pia if you are doing it on the floor with a creeper.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the help. I did get the starter replaced at the same time replaced all the battery cables ignition cable to starter along with a new alternator. Was able to find a Delco for the starter but used a crap alternator from advance auto. The car start great not one thing i did notice is that the voltage at the battery is like 16.1 and so I was wondering either does this car still have an external regulator connected, which I dont think so since the old alternator looked like it had a regulator in it since it had the 1 and 2 terminals on it. What color should be on terminal 1 and what color should be on terminal 2? Guess I could just take a meter and see if i get 12 volts on one of the cables. Just wondering is the sensing wire might be on the wrong terminal casing the regulator not to stop producing. Anyway the last a final item i notices that the second terminal on the starter had no wire on it one one of the terminals did, is this normal?

Thanks
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
plug in back, no regulator, plug on top, regulator built in. not all solenoid terminals are used. depends on car setup.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

I understand the response to the last part of my posting. So do you think I got a bad regulator?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in