1966 Gto body color - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1966 Gto body color

Please help. I've decided to paint my 66 GTO purple. I know it goes against all the purists because currently it's the original red. I'm looking for suggestions of which shade or DuPont color purple to use. I currently only have the plum crazy purple to go with. Does anybody have any suggestions of tried and true purples that I can use and view on the 1966 GTO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Not really. My suggestion would be to contact a PPG outlet or other auto paint supply shop and look at their color chips to help find what you're looking for. Some paint manufacturers put their chips online but I've discovered they do not match the actual chips in their paint chip books.

Yes, you may get some flak about this, but it is YOUR car. Unless you have plans to flip it relatively soon, I would do it my way. My GTO is far from original, but it's my car and I really enjoy it the way it is.

I don't know your timetable on this or where you live, but I attended a GoodGuys Rod and Custom event up in Charlotte and PPG was there and I was a able o get some great paint chips to help me find the exact color I wanted.

LUCK!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 02:58 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum, understand not everyones a fan of the reds. Personally, am not a big fan of most of the factory red colors (other than the '63 & '64 Marimba reds). One of my roundport keeper cars is red. I'd actually considered respraying it in rosewood, a fairly rare factory color for the year that would compliment the car's black interior. Finally after mentioning it to quite a few of my longtime restorer/collector buddies, came to my senses as the car is just too valuable & a color change would have hurt it more than the cost to strip & repaint.

On a '66 GTO, as long as it isn't a factory tripower car, or a very original convertible, youre most likely not doing any damage to the value if you go to another factory color. That said, have been in the hobby a long long time & watched quite a few cars sold off. Some as a result of big unexpected changes: divorces, illnesses, bankruptcies, poor investing for the future, some from owner's passing early. Having helped quite a few familys sell off their loved ones prized musclecars. Typically what it comes diwn to is unless ones trying to throw together a beater with a MAACO respray, its typically better keeping the more desirable factory color cars close to original in paint color.... this can help quite a bit when cars have to be sold... we never know when priotities change, or our time is up.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure it your looking for just True Purples but if you wanted to keep it in the Pontiac family 1967 PLUM MIST is an awesome Deep/Dark Purple that changes depending on lighting;

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2017, 07:00 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Garage
Many variations of "purple." You can check with your local auto paint stores/suppliers where they have chip books you can view. If you don't know which stores carry/mix auto paints, go to any local dealership/auto body repair shop and ask them where they get their paints.

Also, you can check places like motorcycle shops as motorcycles use custom colors, ie popsicle purple. There are also custom colors, ie candy purples from the House of Color (which can be enhanced by choice of your base coats).

So many choices, not just the Mopar color.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
+1 for '67 GTO original color Plum Mist

When the only tool in your toolbox is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
+1 for '67 GTO original color Plum Mist
X2...That is a very nice looking Pontiac....great color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in